Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Admin

Thumbs up ...and the children shall lead you.

'This climate lawsuit could change everything. No wonder the Trump administration doesn’t want it going to trial'

"A groundbreaking climate lawsuit, brought against the federal government by 21 children, has been hailed by environmentalists as a bold new strategy to press for climate action in the United States. But the Trump administration, which has pledged to undo Barack Obama’s climate regulations, is doing its best to make sure the case doesn’t get far.
The Trump administration this week filed a motion to overturn a ruling by a federal judge back in November that cleared the lawsuit for trial — and filed a separate motion to delay trial preparation until that appeal is considered.
The lawsuit — the first of its kind — argues the federal government has violated the constitutional right of the 21 plaintiffs to a healthy climate system.
Environmental groups say the case — if it’s successful — could force even a reluctant government to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and take other measures to counter warming.
“It would be huge,” said Pat Gallagher, legal director at the Sierra Club, who is not involved in the case. “It would upend climate litigation, climate law, as we know it.”
The landmark lawsuit was originally filed during the Obama administration. The 21 plaintiffs, now between the ages of 9 and 20, claim the federal government has consistently engaged in activity that promotes fossil fuel production and greenhouse gas emissions, thereby worsening climate change. They argue this violates their constitutional right to life, liberty and property, as well the public trust doctrine, while holds that the government is responsible for the preservation of certain vital resources — in this case, a healthy climate system — for public use." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.22d8289c1c40
Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Rational Anarchist

Sounds like a Lawyer Full Employment Act lawsuit.

Spring has come early here and we hardly had a winter. All we are doing is talking about what to do about Global Cleansing. Tripling the price of oil, gas, and coal will reduce CO2 emissions a bunch, but not enough.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Sounds like a Lawyer Full Employment Act lawsuit.

Spring has come early here and we hardly had a winter. All we are doing is talking about what to do about Global Cleansing. Tripling the price of oil, gas, and coal will reduce CO2 emissions a bunch, but not enough.
Where did you pull "tripling the price" out of, your tucas?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Where did you pull "tripling the price" out of, your tucas?
That's not a CO2 source.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

More like Methane