Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Admin

Congress reaches deal to keep government open through September

"Congressional negotiators reached an agreement late Sunday on a broad spending package to fund the government through the end of September, alleviating fears of a government shutdown later this week, several congressional aides said.
Congress is expected to vote on the roughly $1 trillion package early this week. The bipartisan agreement includes policy victories for Democrats, whose votes will be necessary to pass the measure in the Senate, as well as $12.5 billion in new military spending and $1.5 billion more for border security requested by Republican leaders in Congress.
The agreement follows weeks of tense negotiations between Democrats and GOP leaders after President Trump insisted that the deal include funding to begin building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Trump eventually dropped that demand, leaving Congress to resolve lingering issues over several unrelated policy measures.
The new border-security money comes with strict limitations that the Trump administration use it only for technology investments and repairs to existing fencing and infrastructure, the aides said.
“This agreement is a good agreement for the American people and takes the threat of a government shutdown off the table,” said Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). “The bill ensures taxpayer dollars aren’t used to fund an ineffective border wall, excludes poison pill riders and increases investments in programs that the middle class relies on, like medical research, education and infrastructure.”

Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) boasted that they were able to force Republicans to withdraw more than 160 unrelated policy measures, known as riders, including those that would have cut environmental funding and scaled back financial regulations for Wall Street.
Democrats fought to include $295 million to help Puerto Rico continue making payments to Medicaid, $100 million to combat opioid addiction, and increases in energy and science funding that Trump had proposed cutting. If passed, the legislation will ensure that Planned Parenthood continues to receive federal funding through September." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.012e5045c62c

Thanks Sen. Schumer and Rep. Pelosi for keeping the lights on. Gotta love that there are no funds for Trump's idiotic wall.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:19 PM

None of his idiotic across-the-board cuts to agencies that I can see. No cuts to science, NIH, Planned Parenthood, ObamaCare or much of anything, apparently. I guess big-boy negotiating is too complicated for Donny, so he appears to have caved on most threatened cuts. What a waste of taxpayer money Trump is.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
What a waste of taxpayer money Trump is.
Yep. $61 million for the Trump's security in Florida and New York.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Admin

Pelosi Statement on Omnibus Bill

"Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement on the fiscal year 2017 omnibus legislation:
“From the beginning, Democrats have sought to avert another destructive Republican Government Shutdown, and we have made significant progress improving the omnibus bill. We have eliminated more than 160 Republican poison pill riders, ranging from undermining a woman’s right to reproductive health to dismantling Dodd-Frank’s vital Wall Street consumer protections. The omnibus does not fund President Trump’s immoral and unwise border wall or create a cruel new deportation force.
“The omnibus is in sharp contrast to President Trump’s dangerous plans to steal billions from lifesaving medical research, instead increasing funding for the NIH by $2 billion. Democrats secured more than a billion dollars to deliver permanent health benefits for the thousands of hard-working coal miners and their families who stood to lose it next month. We secured hundreds of millions of dollars for fighting the opioid epidemic, and restored students’ access to year-round Pell Grants. The bill also increases funding for wildfire and federal highway emergency relief, and for Puerto Rico’s underfunded Medicaid program.
“Now, the Members of our Caucus will assess the whole package and weigh its equities. We thank Ranking Member Nita Lowey, our appropriators, their staff and the House and Senate Leadership staff for their commitment.”"

http://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/43017-3/