Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM

MOSFETs are the output transistors in these amps. Most solid state amps use bipolar transistors, which aren't really manic/ depressive devices.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
MOSFETs are the output transistors in these amps. Most solid state amps use bipolar transistors, which aren't really manic/ depressive devices.
Is that why they say these amps sound "tubey"? Does the Adcom GF-535 have Mosfets? What is your opinion of Hafler?

thanks
Robbin
Old 05-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Ready

Mosfets are transistors.

Quote:
The physics of MOSFETs are much more like tubes than bipolar transistors, and their sound is accordingly somewhat more tubelike.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...pinions.53551/
Old 05-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Is that why they say these amps sound "tubey"? Does the Adcom GF-535 have Mosfets? What is your opinion of Hafler?

thanks
Robbin
The Adcom 5#5 series amps are all bipolar, one later series, also penned by Nelson Pass, were MOSFET.
The original Hafler MOSFET amps were by Erno Borbeley and acclaimed for high end competitive performance, tho' later there was some comment of "MOSFET haze" in the sound. I was an early adopter of the Hafler DH-200, presently have David Belles designed OCM Soloist 200 and a later Muse One Hundred MOFSET amps.
The Hafler amps have a loyal following and numerous mods and upgrades available.

I tend to prefer MOSFET amps but have heard and owned bipolar amps that were nice sounding. The Eagle 2 would be my fave bipolar amp in residence. Also tube amps, including an upgraded Silvertone Warwick console amp and a Marantz 8. Have fooled with but not used here McIntosh tube amps. They didn't suck.😀
Really good amps of most topologies tend to sound more similar than not, but each would probably have a signature sound in a given compatible system to some critical listeners.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Jigsawed

The 535 was the sweetest of the 5#5 amps. I had some regret after selling mine.

And physically it was such a neat little amp.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The 535 was the sweetest of the 5#5 amps. I had some regret after selling mine.

And physically it was such a neat little amp.
I had three, loaned one still out, sold the nicest to a friend, and still have the one I bought after reading the Stereophile endorsement.
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpowe...RsOWdYqfL5k.97
Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
The Adcom 5#5 series amps are all bipolar, one later series, also penned by Nelson Pass, were MOSFET.
The original Hafler MOSFET amps were by Erno Borbeley and acclaimed for high end competitive performance, tho' later there was some comment of "MOSFET haze" in the sound. I was an early adopter of the Hafler DH-200, presently have David Belles designed OCM Soloist 200 and a later Muse One Hundred MOFSET amps.
The Hafler amps have a loyal following and numerous mods and upgrades available.

I tend to prefer MOSFET amps but have heard and owned bipolar amps that were nice sounding. The Eagle 2 would be my fave bipolar amp in residence. Also tube amps, including an upgraded Silvertone Warwick console amp and a Marantz 8. Have fooled with but not used here McIntosh tube amps. They didn't suck.��
Really good amps of most topologies tend to sound more similar than not, but each would probably have a signature sound in a given compatible system to some critical listeners.
Thanks. I have the 535 and have been using it for about 2-3 years with a Chinese Music Angle (lol) driving it. I can't resist any cheap used power amp at the thrift. I want to get an autoformer Mcintosh some day.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 PM

I paid ten bucks for the nicest one with dox at a thrift.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned

Pair of KEF 103/3 with the stands, not a scratch on them. Plus the little KEFKUBE equalizer...6 bucks. Honest.

It's a little resale shop that carries only soft goods, clothes, shoes, linens etc. Donor came in with several boxes of expensive designer stuff and wouldn't donate unless they took the speakers with it. We wandered in apparently less than an hour later, the speakers were sitting at the front door.

How much?
If you will just get them out of here you can have them.
Well, we should pay you something.
OK...5 bucks.
We would want this little box that comes with them, too.
OK...6 bucks, then. Just please, take them away.

Sure...thanks a lot.

And then as I was carrying the second speaker out, one of the ladies said, "Oh wait...the guy also brought in these two big, heavy things, my son put them on a shelf in the back for us. So for another 5 bucks we got the Adcom GFA-555 Amp, and the Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 05-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Ready

Nice win at the thrift store lottery.
Nice style speakers. How do they sound?