Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Perhaps so, but far more have been killed over the years due to the use of coal from mining accidents and respiratory disease. The environmental impact of coal hasn't been exactly benign either from mountain-top removal to rivers polluted from mine drainage to acid rain killing lakes hundreds of miles from power plants to dirty air. Unfortunately, there is no free lunch.
Another one that needs to go. You're on a roll, Pat.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Another one that needs to go. You're on a roll, Pat.
It's absolutely true. I'm not an absolute fan (nor foe) of nuclear power, but believe that at this point in time, it's still a viable component of the nation's power-generation capacity, as is coal, gas, wind, solar, hydropower and conservation. Other than conservation, all have a downside. Nuclear is low risk/high consequence whereas some other the others are high risk/low consequence. Pick your poison, as it were.

Your argument reminds me of criticism of the Green Party in Germany back about 35 years back. Roughly translated, it was that the Greens believed that their electricity came directly from the power receptacle (i.e., it was spontaneously generated in a pure fashion magically at the plug).

Last edited by finnbow; 05-04-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It's absolutely true. I'm not an absolute fan (nor foe) of nuclear power, but believe that at this point in time, it's still a viable component of the nation's power-generation capacity, as is coal, gas, wind, solar, hydropower and conservation. Other than conservation, all have a downside. Nuclear is low risk/high consequence whereas some other the others are high risk/low consequence. Pick your poison, as it were.

Your argument reminds me of criticism of the Green Party in Germany back about 35 years back. Roughly translated, it was that the Greens believed that their electricity came directly from the power receptacle (i.e., it was spontaneously generated in a pure fashion magically at the plug).
The risks of nuclear increase over time. This can't be said of your high risk technologies.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
The risks of nuclear increase over time. This can't be said of your high risk technologies.
Not really. A reactor built to the newest standards (i.e., modular reactor designs) are quite safe. Regardless, the stringency of existing NRC regulation and cheap, abundant natural gas have pretty much destroyed any appetite for new reactors in the power industry.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Not really. A reactor built to the newest standards (i.e., modular reactor designs) are quite safe. Regardless, the stringency of existing NRC regulation and cheap, abundant natural gas have pretty much destroyed any appetite for new reactors in the power industry.
You're forgetting the waste again.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:

It doesn't??

Something some of the electric car proponents seem to believe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
CANDU?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANDU_reactor?wprov=sfla1

Old 05-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
If Harry Reid hadn't effectively closed Yucca Mountain (that was built with financing from the civilian nuclear industry) or if we chose to recycle spent fuel, it wouldn't be an intractable issue.

That said, we have ~100 operating power reactors in the United States. What do you propose? Shutting them down before their operating licenses expire? What good would that do? You'd still have ~100 plants to decommission, lots of spent fuel to store or reprocess, 800 billion kilowatt-hours of power to replace, and untold billions to pay the utility companies for reneging on the operating licenses and pissing away their money on Yucca Mountain.

Other than that, you're right.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
CANDU?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANDU_reactor?wprov=sfla1

No. They simply go by the name of (small) modular reactors. If you're interested, here are a couple of links providing an overview:

http://www.energy.gov/ne/nuclear-rea...clear-reactors
http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/N...odular-Reactor
Old 05-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
You could stop bringing it up and concede.

Last edited by nailer; 05-04-2016 at 04:21 PM.