Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
a NY Times piece which pretty thoroughly puts the lie to CR's little graph.
Wait, don't you mean the "failing NY Times"? And aren't they Fake News? Why would you use them to prove a point?

BTW, did anyone else notice Trump continues to give interviews to the "fake news" outlets, all the while bashing them at rallies for his idiot supporters?

NYT stock price jumped 12% on great earnings today. Hell of a way to fail!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
You haven't proven shit, Mike. All you've done is to wave your hands about while bloviating hysterically. I suggest you go read the whole article.
I did, maybe you should to. The CR article reads like a conclusion in search of facts. On the other hand, you might read the info provided in my earlier post, which includes conclusions provided by folks who have researched this subject.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
The CR article reads like a conclusion in search of facts.
Indeed!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 AM

Doing a topical websearch;

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...l-debt/381163/

http://amjmed.org/under-aca-medical-...tcy-continues/

http://www.snopes.com/643000-bankrup...medical-bills/
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I don't dispute their math. I did dispute their premise and their methodology.

I think the BS factor in the CR image you provided has been pretty thoroughly exposed here. I've explained it quite clearly, and even countered CR's "counting exercise" links to research and a NY Times piece which pretty thoroughly puts the lie to CR's little graph.

But hey, Bob, don't let me stand in your way if you want to stand by the BS.
You do realize that bankruptcies due to medical expenses are unheard of in most civilized countries.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:08 AM

The flaw with that comment Merrylander is the United States is not a civilized country by any means.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
The flaw with that comment Merrylander is the United States is not a civilized country by any means.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
I think it's the system. Most gainfully employed people, those working for unions and most importantly government employees at every level are provided healthcare by their employers as a no-tax benefit.

So people having to buy healthcare (or go without one) are in the minority. Besides the people in Congress are not facing this situation since they get very generous health benefits, more like give themselves what they want.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You do realize that bankruptcies due to medical expenses are unheard of in most civilized countries.
I've had enough of this idiocy too. The left loves to walk around saying things like:

Inability to pay medical bills is the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in America!

Or, like the article Finn linked to: One in five American adults will struggle to pay medical bills this year. The source of Finn's info was that well - respected medical cost research firm "Nerdwallet".

Here's one study that that left loves to cite when throwing around the top-line stat about medical bankruptcies in the US: Using a conservative definition, 62.1% of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical...

What these studies fair to parse between are whether or not the individual was forced to stop working when due to their illness, which of course would have been a significant factor in bankruptcy proceedings.

In fact, inability to pay due to loss of income is the most likely scenario for the numbers reported in these studies. According to "Nerdwallet": Despite having year-round insurance coverage, 10M insured Americans ages 19-64 will face bills they are unable to pay. According to the AMJ study: We designated bankruptcies as “medical” based on debtors’ stated reasons for filing, income loss due to illness, and the magnitude of their medical debts.

So, the assumption that these folks were uninsured or had no access to health insurance and that was the cause of their bankruptcy is BULL SHIT!!

Now that we've got an apples to apples comparison of medical bankruptcies that include loss of income, and using your definition of "civilized countries", apparently Canada is not civilized! In Canada, depending on which list you look at, Canada DOES have bankruptcies due to medical, and its either the top 3 or top 4 reason that folks in Canada file for bankruptcy.

http://www.creditcards.ca/credit-car...krupt-1265.php

https://bankruptcy-canada.com/bankru...of-bankruptcy/

Glad to be here to debunk the fake news BS that some of you love to throw around.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:33 PM

The GOP members of the House were asked to vote for this latest version of healthcare act bereft of details and cost for the good of the party. Trump is now claiming this as a great victory? Question is who loses?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

Glad to be here to debunk the fake news BS that some of you love to throw around.
You missed he bit in one of your links

"Medical problems cause a significant percentage of bankruptcies, although it's unclear whether medical bills or the inability to earn sufficient income due to poor health is the true root cause."

As to BS since you are an expert in that department we will have to take your word for it.

Mind you not all drug treatments in Canada are covered Frex that cancer drug used to treat wet AMD was not covered I know as my late sister suffered from it and they did not cover it at first until there was enough evidence of its efficacy accumulated.

But it still beats what we have here by a country mile. Drug prices are close to one half of what we pay here.