Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Doesn't matter though, Europes' "High Court of We Know Better Than You" will strike it down. Democracy? Or rule by judicial fiat?

Pete
Like Bush v. Gore?

John
Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Muslim 'Honor' killings - it's happened here in Cleveland too.

The Imam of our largest Mosque was accused of helping fund terrorists, and after the Cleveland religious community (of all denominations) held a big demonstration for his innocence he was deported, for helping fund terrorists of course. Doh.

The court is the 'European Court of Human Rights'. They, whoever they are, plan to appeal already.

Pete
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Muslim 'Honor' killings - it's happened here in Cleveland too.
Yes, it does happen and it's grotesque and morally reprehensible.

Quote:
The Imam of our largest Mosque was accused of helping fund terrorists, and after the Cleveland religious community (of all denominations) held a big demonstration for his innocence he was deported, for helping fund terrorists of course. Doh.
Accused and deported. What happened to tried? Sounds like they had no case.

Quote:
The court is the 'European Court of Human Rights'. They, whoever they are, plan to appeal already.

Pete
As they damn well should.

John
Old 12-01-2009, 01:41 PM

I'm confused- what are minarets? I thought they were those towers with the funny looking tops that were used to call the "faithful" to prayer. Are they actually a legal device that is somehow used as a justification for murder? I'm not sure how banning minarets would impact the application of a countries laws. I can build an alter and worship Satan but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make it legal for me to rape virgins.

I guess I find myself in the dissonant opinion that one can favor religious freedom and oppose murder.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
I'm confused- what are minarets? I thought they were those towers with the funny looking tops that were used to call the "faithful" to prayer. Are they actually a legal device that is somehow used as a justification for murder? I'm not sure how banning minarets would impact the application of a countries laws. I can build an alter and worship Satan but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make it legal for me to rape virgins.

I guess I find myself in the dissonant opinion that one can favor religious freedom and oppose murder.
Maybe the call to prayer has been outlawed too.

John
Old 12-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

No case? Not only does the immigration office require certain things (like a reason), but a GREAT video came out, showed the guy at a fundraiser calling Jews monkeys and pigs. Charming, caring guy that one

Ed I can see why whey passed the ban outside of strictly religous reasons, if you picture minarets going up everywhere suddenly it doesn't look like home anymore. Really, more of a zoning or construction issue. Not to say anti-muslim doesn't have anything to do with it but it passed at what, 57%?

Pete
Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Ed I can see why whey passed the ban outside of strictly religous reasons, if you picture minarets going up everywhere suddenly it doesn't look like home anymore.
When I was a kid, there were billboards along the roads in rural Ohio. They would advertise Husman's Potato Chips, Skyline Chilli and Burger Beer. On a trip home, oh, several years ago, I took a trek out to the old homestead. Just to look around and see how it had changed. Boy, had it ever. Many (most?) of the billboards along the road to my small home town had been bought by local churches. All kinds of odd, offensive or unintelligable commentary on them. Didn't look much like more anymore. But I'd defend their right to post them.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Resident octogenarian

Recently even in their own countries the "call to prayer" has become a contest to see who can come up with the most powerful PA system. Then they hired imams with the best singing voice to tape the call.

I was born at home in midwinter, right across the street was a Catholic church. Now the CN Railroad had given them an old engine bell for their church. I stll remember my mother saying that she said to the dooctor, "If he does not get here soon (meaning me) they will be ringing that darn bell". So if anyone knows when they ring matins that was the hour of my birth.
Calls to prayer, rining bells, it can all get quickly out of hand. That sort of thing was fine in the agrarian days when few people had clocks or wrist watches, hardly necessary now.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Recently even in their own countries the "call to prayer" has become a contest to see who can come up with the most powerful PA system. Then they hired imams with the best singing voice to tape the call.

I was born at home in midwinter, right across the street was a Catholic church. Now the CN Railroad had given them an old engine bell for their church. I stll remember my mother saying that she said to the dooctor, "If he does not get here soon (meaning me) they will be ringing that darn bell". So if anyone knows when they ring matins that was the hour of my birth.
Calls to prayer, rining bells, it can all get quickly out of hand. That sort of thing was fine in the agrarian days when few people had clocks or wrist watches, hardly necessary now.
As I understand it, the minarets in question are rarely used as an actual call to prayer. All the same, if you were to outlaw their use for that purpose I would think you'd have to do the same for us Catholics.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
When I was a kid, there were billboards along the roads in rural Ohio. They would advertise Husman's Potato Chips, Skyline Chilli and Burger Beer. On a trip home, oh, several years ago, I took a trek out to the old homestead. Just to look around and see how it had changed. Boy, had it ever. Many (most?) of the billboards along the road to my small home town had been bought by local churches. All kinds of odd, offensive or unintelligable commentary on them. Didn't look much like more anymore. But I'd defend their right to post them.

There is a small church down the road in Brookeville (where Madison brought the government when my ancestors were burning down the WhiteHouse) and the pastor has quite a turn for words. I always try to slow down and read his latest on the small board out in front.