Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'm right there with you on NAFTA. Didn't like the idea then, don't like it now. We should be taxing the hell out of imports that compete with U.S. made products.

Now on the education thing, you can blame it on the loss of industry/funding if you want, but that doesn't explain why education sucks everywhere. Here in Alaska, they've been spending obscene amounts on education since the early 70's, yet the performance decline is as severe as anywhere else. The problems in education are systemic.
If you think about it, all of that started way before NAFTA. We had been steadily reducing tariffs and import taxes since the late sixties. Then came GATT, WTO, MFN and NAFTA. I think some wheeling & dealing took place during Nixons visit to China, that we were all too stoned to notice at the time.

I know the education systems problems run beyond funding. But, loss of revenue generation doesn't help anything either.

Dave
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
If you put tarriffs on cars coming from Canada the Big Three will be very unhappy with you.

For example the Chev Impalas are made in Oshawa, no idea what Ford and Chrysler make up there but I am sure they do some.

Speaking as a former educator the problem with the schools here are to many alleged "experts" interferring. If they would simply get the hell out of the way and let teachers teach we would be better off. Sooner or later it will dawn on these idiots that life is not a multi-part question.
My '09 HemiChallenger was built in Brampton, Ontario as are all of the Chargers. The parts come from all over the world. Engine castings come from the U.S., but are machined and assembled in Mexico. Sheet metal is stamped in the U.S., but welded together in the Brampton plant. The transmission came from France. Electronics from Japan and Taiwan.

Dave
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ever see 'Armageddon' with Bruce Willis? A Russkie cosmonaut is banging on an inoperative control panel with a wrench, yelling 'Russian electronics. American electronics. All made in Taiwan!'

Given that car parts come from everywhere, I'd think that if we slapped tariffs on everything cars would get more expensive.

And the 'free trade' agreements really aren't. You'd think I could simply ship stuff to Canada like anywhere else, but that sure isn't so. Extra paperwork and steps, lots of extra fees, border delays, it could be much more efficient.

China, those thieves. Let's get'em

Pete
Old 12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Ever see 'Armageddon' with Bruce Willis? A Russkie cosmonaut is banging on an inoperative control panel with a wrench, yelling 'Russian electronics. American electronics. All made in Taiwan!'

Love that scene!

Given that car parts come from everywhere, I'd think that if we slapped tariffs on everything cars would get more expensive.

And the 'free trade' agreements really aren't. You'd think I could simply ship stuff to Canada like anywhere else, but that sure isn't so. Extra paperwork and steps, lots of extra fees, border delays, it could be much more efficient.

Pete
True. 'Cuz you know the last thing they're gonna do is bring any of that work here. Much easier to just raise prices to cover the increased tariffs. And, if the increase happens across the board, which it would, no one loses market share to any competitors.

Bastards.

Dave
Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

There is a bit of good news, my son in law works for the giant tooling company Kennemetal, they're closing production in India and... China? and bringing it back here. They pay pretty well too, kinda a good old fashioned skilled blue collar job.

Antitrust is a joke. I spoke to a plastic supplier a few years back, he said if one giant oil company raised raw material prices a penny everyone else did too.

Pete
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
That is what I am afraid a lot of people are doing. There are a lot of intelligent people here with interesting things to say about a lot of different subjects. I would like to see more people join this forum but if it starts to look like so many other forums on the net, with people ranting and raving and calling each other names, why would anyone want to join? (I defer to Rodney King.)
I donno.

To listen to the current talking points and have your intelligence insulted if you disagree?

To have your overall comments picked apart, to be disparaged point by out of context point?

To be the big fish in the small pond?

Because you don't have enough overbearing assholes in your real life that you need to go online to find some more?

Because you can't have a dominatrix without a submissive?

Speaking for myself, I'm bored to tears and have enough Sam Adams in my system to be somewhat sociable.

And once again speaking for myself, I miss the days when the one liner, no matter how sophomoric, ruled over the snide comment.

Hell, we're all just along for the ride, no reason for anyone to get their panties in a wad over it.

At least not in this venue.

Chas
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
There is a bit of good news, my son in law works for the giant tooling company Kennemetal, they're closing production in India and... China? and bringing it back here. They pay pretty well too, kinda a good old fashioned skilled blue collar job.

Antitrust is a joke. I spoke to a plastic supplier a few years back, he said if one giant oil company raised raw material prices a penny everyone else did too.

Pete
Just bought some 5/16" Chinese lag bolts, and you can twist them in half with a pair of pliers.

To be honest, I'm getting afraid to build anything. Lag bolts that shear, black iron els that come with voids...doesn't give me much confidence that even the good ones won't just split in half after being under tension and fill someone's house full of NG and blow them up.

At times, this shit keeps me awake at nights...if I let it. I'll be the one responsible if anything goes wrong...not some Chinaman.

I'd be willing to pay 2-3 times the price for things like this if I thought they wouldn't fail.

Maybe I wouldn't have to drink myself into a stupor every night just to get some sleep.

Chas
Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I donno.

To listen to the current talking points and have your intelligence insulted if you disagree?

To have your overall comments picked apart, to be disparaged point by out of context point?

To be the big fish in the small pond?

Because you don't have enough overbearing assholes in your real life that you need to go online to find some more?

Because you can't have a dominatrix without a submissive?

Speaking for myself, I'm bored to tears and have enough Sam Adams in my system to be somewhat sociable.

And once again speaking for myself, I miss the days when the one liner, no matter how sophomoric, ruled over the snide comment.

Hell, we're all just along for the ride, no reason for anyone to get their panties in a wad over it.

At least not in this venue.

Chas
BAM!! That is exactly what I meant to say!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Pete
If you can fix electrical components with a mallet, or better yet a thump of your finger...you have a bad connection.

Chas
Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
BAM!! That is exactly what I meant to say!
Thank you John, but I can't take credit for this.

It was Samuel Adams doing the talking.

I'm just his simple mouthpiece.

Take care,

Chas