Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Voter Turnout - Any guesses?

I'm thinking it will be much lower than last time. Somewhere around 54%.

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM

It's anyone's guess. Normally, I'd say that you were pretty close but early voting has been unexpectedly high. I think we may also see a higher than normal Democratic turnout as sort of backlash against the Republican voter suppression efforts. I hope my intuition is reliable and I hope the machines "behave".
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It's anyone's guess. Normally, I'd say that you were pretty close but early voting has been unexpectedly high. I think we may also see a higher than normal Democratic turnout as sort of backlash against the Republican voter suppression efforts. I hope my intuition is reliable and I hope the machines "behave".
I caught a segment on the Young Turks about the horrendous lines to vote in Ohio & Florida. They've done nothing to allow for the higher turnouts because they have lessened the number of days available for early voting. The Florida scene is especially bad. A travesty on the part of the Repub leaders in these battleground states. Florida is a prime candidate for UN oversight.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm hoping to be surprised. I'd love to see a much higher turnout then that. With everything that was happening in 2008, I think it hit 58. I can't imagine it being close to that, but again, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I caught a segment on the Young Turks about the horrendous lines to vote in Ohio & Florida. They've done nothing to allow for the higher turnouts because they have lessened the number of days available for early voting. The Florida scene is especially bad. A travesty on the part of the Repub leaders in these battleground states. Florida is a prime candidate for UN oversight.
I lived through that crap in Florida in 2000. It was tragic.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Admin

Quote:

That all said, I think we will see a slightly higher turnout than in 2008. Everyone that I talk to is fired up, (lefties, of course). Other than my stoner teabagging neighbor and Pete, I don't really know any wrongies.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM

In my part of the country, Southern Indiana, Louisville Kentucky area early voting has been very high. Plus a higher amount of absentee ballots requested. I plan on going around 0700 with the wife. I think it will be a large turnout fraught with delays and problems in a number of areas throughout the country.

Barney
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
In my part of the country, Southern Indiana, Louisville Kentucky area early voting has been very high. Plus a higher amount of absentee ballots requested. I plan on going around 0700 with the wife. I think it will be a large turnout fraught with delays and problems in a number of areas throughout the country.
Barney
I anticipate an easy day. I'll be going over to my polling spot in the early afternoon before the folks get off of work. It's worked in the past for me. Besides, my wunnerful wife is behind the table on this one, (poll volunteer). So, if I see any shenanigans, ( self appointed teabagging poll watchers) I'll be hanging out with a camera till the polls close.
Where your "Forward" buttons when you vote, y'all!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM

I'm off work so I'll probably roam around the corner when I wake up.......
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
That all said, I think we will see a slightly higher turnout than in 2008. Everyone that I talk to is fired up, (lefties, of course). Other than my stoner teabagging neighbor and Pete, I don't really know any wrongies.
Well, here's hoping. a 60% turnout would be great.

And isn't it bad form to quote yourself?