Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Admin

It's over. The Senate (81 to 18)and the House (285 to 144) vote to end this dumbass shutdown. Till the next time.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And the Big Dawg puts this whole dog and pony show into perspective.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...ama-98310.html

Chas
He said Republicans needed to take their medicine. “I guess [Obama] could stop it, but the price of— the current price of stopping it is higher than the price of letting the Republicans do it and taking their medicine,” Clinton said. “You can’t negotiate over that. And I think he’s right not to.”

Obama and Harry Reid completely schooled a fractious GOP.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Admin

Yup! They certainly did and they'll think twice before trying this stunt again. There will be a concerted effort on the part of the GOP to flush the 'baggers down the toilet after this. Look out 'baggers because the GOPers are going to primary your sorry asses out of existence.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
They only thing the Teabaggers succeeded in doing was removing $24 Billion from the economy. Nice achievement for the party of fiscal responsibility.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sp-cu...h-view-2013-10
$24 B estimated to be removed from the economy. Or would that be an estimated $24 B not added to the deficit? It must come from somewhere, not to mention go somewhere as well.

Not that it much matters, the only option we have now is to continue to debase or currency, or the whole house of cards will collapse. Hopefully, we will begin a gradual return to fiscal sanity, but I doubt that it will happen. Most likely, our masters will simply change the rules of the game. Again.

I'm rambling, so I'll get to the point.

The "Baggers", as you so lovingly call them, overplayed their political hand. The Obama administration knew this, and played hardball to score political points. Not only against the Baggers in particular, but the Republicans in general. That's the way the game is played.

The "Baggers" didn't shave $24 B form the economy. Or the Republicans. Or the Democrats, who knew they had 'em bent over a barrel and weren't about to quit sticking it in their ass while they had 'em by the ears.

They all did it.

I come here for a political discussion...that and a way to kill time while I'm getting drunk by myself. It gives me something to do besides being obsessed with what I HAVE to do. A sort of therapy, a cleansing of the mind.

Is there any common ground left amongst us? Is there not more to be gained by assessing your opponent as to dismissing him?

Chas
Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Admin

NEW YORK (Standard & Poor's) Oct. 16, 2013--The U.S. government has been shut down for more than two weeks. Earlier today, Senate leadership crafted an agreement to end the shutdown and avert a debt default. However, the deal needs to be voted on by both chambers of Congress.
We believe that to date, the shutdown has shaved at least 0.6% off of annualized fourth-quarter 2013 GDP growth, or taken $24 billion out of the economy. However, the closer we get to breaching the debt ceiling, the higher we expect the economic impact to be.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
NEW YORK (Standard & Poor's) Oct. 16, 2013--The U.S. government has been shut down for more than two weeks. Earlier today, Senate leadership crafted an agreement to end the shutdown and avert a debt default. However, the deal needs to be voted on by both chambers of Congress.
We believe that to date, the shutdown has shaved at least 0.6% off of annualized fourth-quarter 2013 GDP growth, or taken $24 billion out of the economy. However, the closer we get to breaching the debt ceiling, the higher we expect the economic impact to be.

Thought I just addressed that.

Chas
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Thought I just addressed that.

Chas
I thought there was a question in there. Excuse the fuck outta me, I must be drunker than I thought.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM

Chas, pretty sure most on this forum agree on 70 to 80 percent on issues. But would not shut the site down over those in dispute. There must be a time when having a discussion involving issues and solutions can have constructive results. Both sides feel they are right and are not! Somewhere in the middle but that means giving up and in this day and age with outside forces, money and media agendas consensuses is hard.

Barney
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Ready

Charles, the image of the Democrats sodomizing their opponents isn't a very nice prelude for a call for us all to reason together.

If you want respect give it. Just a thought for next time.

Now, instead of playing hardball, what should the Obama administration have done, in your opinion. I ask this as a way to get at what you think the unaddressed problems are, what needs to be changed.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
$24 B estimated to be removed from the economy. Or would that be an estimated $24 B not added to the deficit? It must come from somewhere, not to mention go somewhere as well....

The "Baggers", as you so lovingly call them, overplayed their political hand. The Obama administration knew this, and played hardball to score political points. Not only against the Baggers in particular, but the Republicans in general. That's the way the game is played.

The "Baggers" didn't shave $24 B form the economy. Or the Republicans. Or the Democrats, who knew they had 'em bent over a barrel and weren't about to quit sticking it in their ass while they had 'em by the ears.

They all did it....
I think you suffer a bit from the "everybody is equally at fault" syndrome. When some jagoff screws you over on a business deal or runs into your car at a red light, are you equally at fault?

I'm no Democrat fanboy, but more of an erstwhile disgusted Republican who regrets how the party of Eisenhower has been kidnapped by a bunch of ignorant sociopaths. I made a deliberate choice about 10 years back to disassociate with a party that would stoop so low as to cynically manipulate and foster resentment among rural southern whites. The party has become a collection of angry, rural whites (who actually vote against their own interests) and the callous rich that stoke them- by design.

Now, these ignorant f*cks pull a stunt that any sentient being knew was destined to fail and cost the country dearly, both in terms of economics and national status/well-being. In this particular instance, the fault isn't equally distributed. It rests squarely on the Tea Party. An unwillingness to call out (or throw out) these miscreants all but guarantees a continuation of this behavior detrimental to our nation (and my pocketbook). I honestly believe that the Tea Party is more dangerous to our nation at this point the Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda isn't capable of costing us $24 billion in economic activity and $100 million in additional interests costs in two short weeks.

Last edited by finnbow; 10-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.