Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Labeling statements as "facts" doesn't confer veracity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
The Insane Clown has proven time and again that he doesn't know the difference between fact and fiction.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
Certainly can't argue with your statement. I definitely argue with the Wikipedia definition though. It goes off the rails immediately with this: "A fact is something that is true."

To quote Indiana Jones, "“Archaeology is the search for fact … not truth. If it’s truth you’re interested in, Dr. Tyree’s philosophy class is right down the hall."

For example, a man has a y chromosome. That is how we know he is male. That is a "fact". But he may identify as a woman. Some will say it is true that he is a transgender woman. But that is "their truth". The FACT is, he is a man. Now, you can go along with his charade in the same way that you can go along with a person who says he is Napoléon, and address him as "general, sir". But he is not Napoléon. And some subscribe to a "truth" that it harms him to play along with it.

You can have whatever "truth" you want." But you can't just make up facts. And often, facts destroy your truth.

That being said, the dictionary definition DOES ascribe "truth" to facts, but more carefully: "a thing that is known or proved to be true"

That is why Transgender men (and women) are actually just people aflicted with a mental disorder called gender dysphoria, or gender identity disorder GIS. A fact is that they may identify as one sex while they are actually another sex. "Truth" involves one's opinion on what that actually means or how it should be dealt with.

But I've gotten off on a tangent. Bottom line is I prefer to deal in certifiable and observed facts and let the "truth" follow.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Twitter is more than a bulletin board, it's also a special interests echo chamber silo farm.
For it to be an echo chamber, all parties must agree. That's what it was becoming. It just got derailed.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Though I agree with the statement, I think a better way of putting it would be, "Labeling statements as "true" doesn't confer support by facts.

Simple example: Fact: Ocean levels at some places are rising. False truth some may infer: Ocean levels are rising.

Why is it a false truth? Because in some places ocean levels are falling. The fact ignored is that in some places land falls and in other places it rises, whereas sea levels reach a constant. They're much more fluid.

So, the "fact" that the sea level at a particular place is rising is only "proof" that the sea level is rising in that one place. It could be that the water is rising OR that the land is sinking. And both DO happen all the time.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
We've seen this scenario before, W.R. Hearst, Henry Ford, Rupert Murdoch, ect.
Ambition for influence and power by controlling the narrative thru media management.
I think that sort of thing has always happened. It's just when it gets really weird that people start to take notice. I suppose that in the next gubernatorial election we'll see how the people of Florida feel about this decision.

Or the people of the country if he runs for president.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:53 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
For it to be an echo chamber, all parties must agree. That's what it was becoming. It just got derailed.
Steve called it a silo 'farm' which of course implies a multitude of silos not a single echo chamber silo.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Steve called it a silo 'farm' which of course implies a multitude of silos not a single echo chamber silo.
Yeah. I was focusing on the echo chamber part. I've probably produced less than 50 tweets in the ten or so years I've been there, but I get responses from all sides of the political/cultural spectrum.

I'm guessing that the "echo chamber silo" comment meant it is a site full of different echo chambers. But how does that explain people getting cancelled, unless they have the audacity to venture into someone else's silo. And what does he mean by "farm"? Are they growing, even when members are being cancelled? Are entire silos being cancelled? I'll hold judgement until I understand exactly what he was driving at.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:21 PM

I have stopped making any attempt at discussing subjects like global warming, politics or current events with any of those who have chosen to for what ever reason to suspend and ignore reality. Live in their twisted echo chamber of silence. Refusing the news unless it is from their leaders, thinking the media is corrupted.

Simple facts that can not be denied, the planet is warming, ice that has been around for millions of years is melting. CO2 levels are increasing. The cause is plain right in front of us.... US! Ignored because of selfishness arrogant laziness.

Most of us will not live long enough to experience the drastic changes in store. Do know this..... we will be cursed for thousands of years for or arrogance and stupidly by any who survive.

Those who see the world as a place of them verses us. One where everyone that matters must have the same views. Refuse to believe any facts unless told this is the truth. Fool themselves by ignoring everything that challenges or disagrees with their concept.

This Cult of true believers taking over the country. Full of hate and gleeful ignorance. Mirroring some of the worst of times for human upon human atrocities.

So in closing, little in any way of what I can argue. Will change a mind already closed down.

Learned long ago arguing with a child or a drunk and now those mentioned above serves little good. Figure if not understood by now, they will more then likely never will.

Last edited by Oerets; 04-29-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Yeah. I was focusing on the echo chamber part. I've probably produced less than 50 tweets in the ten or so years I've been there, but I get responses from all sides of the political/cultural spectrum.

I'm guessing that the "echo chamber silo" comment meant it is a site full of different echo chambers. But how does that explain people getting cancelled, unless they have the audacity to venture into someone else's silo. And what does he mean by "farm"? Are they growing, even when members are being cancelled? Are entire silos being cancelled? I'll hold judgement until I understand exactly what he was driving at.
I get it that for 'your' purposes you've employed 'parsing' another member's statement to make a point despite it's relevance. It's a common tactic that's utilized to deflect/obfuscate from the point being made.

As to folks getting themselves banned, ie "cancelled"? When you violate the terms of use that one agreed to in advance of joining any online forum, expect consequences. It's not that opaque or even nefarious as some are wont to complain such as the former, twice impeached guy. In fact, herr T'Rumpolini was given far more leeway than most.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
The Insane Clown has proven time and again that he doesn't know the difference between fact and fiction.
Who kicked over his rock, LOL.