Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 AM

debt ceiling, what is next?

Hey u Folks,
If I missed a thread on the debt ceiling please smack me around a little and show me the way to it.

I was up late last night, and I couldn't sleep. I turned on C-Span and got a belly full of indigestion.

I watched President Barack Obama, some republican leaders, and some democratic leaders get up and make speeches about the debt ceiling. They all said the same thing.

It was everyone elses fault that we are in trouble and that they were the only ones that could lead us out of it. It was really tough to sit and listen to everyonw one of them point fingers at eachother. That was the core of every speech and announcement that I heard. Not a one talked about progress that had been made or issues(specific issues) that were on the table. It was all in generalities.

"We cut x $'s with our thoughts but did so in a smart way" or, "We can't do waht x and x want because they will adversally affect this program and this program." Further, "we are doing what the american people wanted" "This is what they voted for" "The president and congress have had two and a half years to fix things and haven't" ..........

We are in trouble folks.

My wife said we need to lock them in a room with pleanty of food and water until they come up with a solution(and no potty breaks).

I suggested we sieze all of their personal assests until they get it fixed.

Both unrealistic, but it is going to take something extreme before any of these clowns get off their duff and look at the real problem: not just look at what they need to do to get re-elected.

Yours truly,
A hopeless cricket
Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Forget the food and water, you will get quicker results that way.

Bonehead seems to think we all have only short term memories, says raising taxes will cost jobs. Hmm Bush Senior raised taxes - lotsa job created. Clinton raised taxes - millions of jobs created. Bush Junior cut taxes - job creation went flat.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-16-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Forget the food and water, you will get quicker results that way.
Beer and peanuts, but no restroom.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Area Man

It's been like that for a few years now.

Where have you been?

Dave
Old 07-16-2011, 01:34 PM

How about tie 'em in chairs and beat the shit out of them with a baseball bat?

Chas
Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
It's been like that for a few years now.

Where have you been?

Dave
Ture it has been this way for awhile. But I kind of think this time it is not just going to go ands slip through at the last minute.

I wouldn't be suprised if we go into default for at least a few days maybe even a week or so.

If they with hold SS checks, military checks, and other programs, I think that will start a lndslide affect. Nothing new here, except I think it might really happen this time.

BTW - D-Ray, lots of beer, they are already nuts so no need to provide them.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Area Man

Could be. At any rate, it will be interesting. The fun part will be watching the right scramble to make sure all of their acolytes still think no one but Obama is to blame. Although, from what I pick up on other discussion boards, I think more and more people are wising up to that half baked BS. The perception of the GOP as an "innocent bystander" is beginning to erode, the true nature of that beast is beginning to show...............and it can't happen quickly enough.

Dave
Old 07-16-2011, 07:18 PM

Right now I don't care less who is to blame. It is the solution I want to see.

According to last night, Obama's plan "might" cut up to 1.5 trillion over the next ten(IIRC) years. The GOP is saying they will 6.2 trillion in the next four.

What he GOP didn't say is what they would cut to get that level. I am sure it isn't defense. I also bet they are not going to raise taxes. That leaves mostly medicare, medicaid, SS, unemployment, and welfare programs to be cut. I have balanced many buidgets in my day. I cannot see a 6.2 trillion change without MASSIVE cuts. So they are either lying, or they are lying.

I might be able to believe Obama's plan if he would just give a high level outline or something on it.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Right now I don't care less who is to blame. It is the solution I want to see.

According to last night, Obama's plan "might" cut up to 1.5 trillion over the next ten(IIRC) years. The GOP is saying they will 6.2 trillion in the next four.

What he GOP didn't say is what they would cut to get that level. I am sure it isn't defense. I also bet they are not going to raise taxes. That leaves mostly medicare, medicaid, SS, unemployment, and welfare programs to be cut. I have balanced many buidgets in my day. I cannot see a 6.2 trillion change without MASSIVE cuts. So they are either lying, or they are lying.

I might be able to believe Obama's plan if he would just give a high level outline or something on it.
They're doing worse than lying. In pandering to their base, they are making them promises that if kept, could be ruinous to many people. Most of whom have done nothing wrong. The only crime most of them committed was to grow old without securing independent wealth along the way. The problem is that once the promise is made and not kept, those to whom the promise was made will begin to demand it, consequences be damned. In some ways one could say that such broken promises are why were have such unrest today. Ponder that for a while.

Dave
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Resident octogenarian

If the Goopers get their way I predict that Kantor will not have to make up stories about someone shooting at his office this time around.