Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Resident octogenarian

There was a period (the hinges are hopefully better now) where the hood would come loose and smash back through the windshield of the larger car, sort of like the guillotine.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
How bout shine
I most certainly leave it to my friends in Tennessee to produce sippin' whiskey. I'm kinda partial to Gentleman Jack.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you're going to hit a telephone pole doing 70 MPH, would you rather be on a bicycle or in a '55 Buick? Mass has it's advantages.

Chas
Little off topic but I drove my buddies 56 Buick special home from golf a couple weekends ago and damn what a cool ride. Just cruisin down the freeway and people honk and give you a thumbs up. Chrome and quality everywhere.
Don't know that it needs the Caddy motor the old nailhead gets it down the road just fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
How bout shine
I'm in

Early cars had plate glass windshields, decapitations used be a real danger. My dad says steering columns used to go through the chest too. Very cheerful discussion.

Big heavy cars do worse in single car crashes because the weight has something to do with 'bounce back'. But us big car guys have a term for smaller cars - speed bumps lol.

I read a test drive of an old straight 16 car, it redlined at 1900 rpm! It was a 3 speed but it had so much torque you could just leave it in third.

Pete
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

That was basically a Caddy with two V8 blocks bolted together, was a guy about ten miles down the road had one when I was a youngster. He had cutouts on the exhaust and as soon as he cleared his village he would open them, you could hear him coming.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think the whole CAFE standards thing is a joke and a copout for politicians unwilling to do the rational and effective thing - raise the gas tax significantly like all other first world nations have. Gas priced according to its overall societal cost (let's say $5/gallon) would dramatically reduce the deficit, compel Detroit to build fuel efficient cars (that may even be interesting to the rest of the world), reduce urban sprawl, .....

Gas priced at half of what is should be will continue to render the silly CAFE standard useless.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think the whole CAFE standards thing is a joke and a copout for politicians unwilling to do the rational and effective thing - raise the gas tax significantly like all other first world nations have. Gas priced according to its overall societal cost (let's say $5/gallon) would dramatically reduce the deficit, compel Detroit to build fuel efficient cars (that may even be interesting to the rest of the world), reduce urban sprawl, .....

Gas priced at half of what is should be will continue to render the silly CAFE standard useless.
To do so, particularly now, would be the last nail in America's economic coffin. Or at least in MY economic coffin.

BTW, how was your trip to NO? Pleasant I hope.

Chas
Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
To do so, particularly now, would be the last nail in America's economic coffin. Or at least in MY economic coffin.

BTW, how was your trip to NO? Pleasant I hope.

Chas
You're right, Chas. Probably bad timing. But CAFE is a bad joke.

New Orleans was great fun. Lots of tunes, oysters and beer (and some sightseeing). Saw one particularly crazy band there, Cowboy Mouth.

I love New Orleans (mostly outside the French Quarter). It's the absolute antithesis of DC.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:

New Orleans was great fun. Lots of tunes, oysters and beer (and some sightseeing). Saw one particularly crazy band there, Cowboy Mouth.

I love New Orleans (mostly outside the French Quarter). It's the absolute antithesis of DC.
OMG, oysters and beer...I'm gonna cry!!!

Chas
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:

Did they play Joe Strummer? They are immune from any attempt at pigeonholing. Good stuff.

Regards,

D-Ray