Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM

There are a couple politicians looking out for us.. NO FEES!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/1...l-florida.html

Will be interesting to see if they can make it happen. Bet if they do a lot of other states will jump on the wagon.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM

And an even better sign?

Your search - Jeff Clemens scandal - did not match any documents

You don't see that often searching the same term for congressional members.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM

And then you have these guys trying to repeal the Durbin Act.. http://www.vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirm...BEB96AE2D309F7

So why not just create a new law that says you can not charge ANY fees for using a debit card? The banks forced us to go to debit and credit cards. You can not get a paycheck any more if you don't do direct deposit. A lot of companies won't write a check to pay you. We have no choice unless we go to the bank and take out all our money so we can spend it. Even then, try spending cash on the web..

The banks say the new fees put on us are to make up for lossed the Durbin Act caused. Even if they didn't charge a fee to allow us to use our cards, they still will be making a profit. QUIT BEING GREEDY!!!! BOA just posted a quarterly profit of 6.2 BILLION without this new fee...
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post
And then you have these guys trying to repeal the Durbin Act.. http://www.vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirm...BEB96AE2D309F7

So why not just create a new law that says you can not charge ANY fees for using a debit card? The banks forced us to go to debit and credit cards. You can not get a paycheck any more if you don't do direct deposit. A lot of companies won't write a check to pay you. We have no choice unless we go to the bank and take out all our money so we can spend it. Even then, try spending cash on the web..

The banks say the new fees put on us are to make up for lossed the Durbin Act caused. Even if they didn't charge a fee to allow us to use our cards, they still will be making a profit. QUIT BEING GREEDY!!!! BOA just posted a quarterly profit of 6.2 BILLION without this new fee...
Do you believe that a business has a duty to shut down ventures that are not profitable? There are costs associated with operating an ATM/credit network. Its actually surprising that it is as cheap as it is. Also remember that those smaller banks are dependent upon the network maintained by the larger banks.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM

The banks are the ones that forced us to a paperless society (along with the web) Let them figure it out. I'd rather have cash than give people money so I can spend my money.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
The banks are the ones that forced us to a paperless society (along with the web) Let them figure it out. I'd rather have cash than give people money so I can spend my money.
You got that right, just try checking into a hotel without showing them a credit card - BTDT - had to go downstairs every evening and settle the bill.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I lasted out until I was about 32 until I HAD to get a checking account and credit card. I had to have an account to get paid because my company would not pay in check. I also had to have one because I had to travel for work, and as Rob stated, try getting a hotel room or a rental car without a credit card.. .you can't.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The environmentalists were pushing for a paperless society. I wouldn't think banks would be too excited about investing in the infrastructure unless they saw something that they could sell, namely, convenience. I'd rather have gold, but it sure would be inconvenient to use it on a day to day basis. Compare historically where banks got their income streams. Traditionally it was from loans, but I would suspect that has changed to more active convenience services.

No one seems to complains over the higher prices charged by convenience stores or the absurd profit margins of a Microsoft or an Apple.

Last edited by bhunter; 10-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You got that right, just try checking into a hotel without showing them a credit card - BTDT - had to go downstairs every evening and settle the bill.
A matter of conveneience and security for both the user and the hotel. The card makes the tranaction safer and more secure for everyone.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Gold is a good idea. Wouldn't be too inconvenient for me.. it would be a really light sack..