Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:11 AM
Ready

People are thinking of the invasion of the Ukraine as comparing to Hitler's invasion of Poland. I think the more exact comparison is to Hitler's prior invasion of Czechoslovakia, where he blatantly broke the Munich agreement, and all the western powers finally recognized his naked imperialistic program. Thus they became determined to go to war to stop further aggression. Just as in the case of Czechoslovakia, there will not be direct military intervention now, but NATO now shows determination to go to war to defend its eastern members.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Say what you mean and mean
What you say.
My posts are not college theses. They are forum posts. It's water cooler conversation, peppered with links. I clarified when it was apparent I caused confusion.

That's how conversations work.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:23 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Greater minds than ours have this same disagreement. I was making a blanket statement, trying to avoid the weeds. I've been a student of the rise and fall of the Nazi party in Germany since the late 60's, when I was in high school. It's always fascinated me - to this day.
Quote:
My posts are not college theses. They are forum posts. It's water cooler conversation, peppered with links. I clarified when it was apparent I caused confusion.

That's how conversations work.
See a contridiction?
Old 02-25-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
People are thinking of the invasion of the Ukraine as comparing to Hitler's invasion of Poland. I think the more exact comparison is to Hitler's prior invasion of Czechoslovakia, where he blatantly broke the Munich agreement, and all the western powers finally recognized his naked imperialistic program. Thus they became determined to go to war to stop further aggression. Just as in the case of Czechoslovakia, there will not be direct military intervention now, but NATO now shows determination to go to war to defend its eastern members.
I agree with you. I think we'd be in a very different world today if 9/1/39 had never happened. And in that way, Putin may have learned from Hitler's mistake. Even Europe can be pushed too hard. But this ain't it.

That does not console any Ukrainians inside or outside the country though. I think Putin calculated this very carefully.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:26 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Have you read "The rise and fall of the third Reich"? It can be tedious at times, but if you plow through there are some great insights.
Before HS. Re-read after retiring.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:34 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
I agree with you. I think we'd be in a very different world today if 9/1/39 had never happened. And in that way, Putin may have learned from Hitler's mistake. Even Europe can be pushed too hard. But this ain't it.

That does not console any Ukrainians inside or outside the country though. I think Putin calculated this very carefully.
Putin is following Russia's long-term expansion policy, which the Soviets ignored, much to their chagrin, with the invasion of Afganistan.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
See a contridiction?
Nope. I'd rather you not make this thread about me, though. I'm not paying you rent, no matter how hard you try.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Putin is following Russia's long-term expansion policy, which the Soviets ignored, much to their chagrin, with the invasion of Afganistan.
I think this could be called an attempt at "re-expansion". It will be interesting at what they consider a stopping/pausing point. I suspect they will be "happy" with Ukraine, at least for the near to mid-term, depending on what kind of resolve Nato nations show.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Totally agree, with the Soviet Hungarian and Czech democracy suppression invasions added as a typical response to challenges to puppet authoritarianism.

Last edited by Pio1980; 02-25-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:48 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Say what you mean and mean what you say. Although, I think most understood what you were implying. You have to remember, finnbow thinks Trump is another Hitler, I'm a big time Trump supporter, and Putin isn't a good strategist and tactitian.
There's no question that Trump admires authoritarians and despots of all stripes, from Hitler to Kim to Xi to Putin and that his beliefs, tactics and ideology greatly resemble the NSDAP in the early 1930's.

As for you being a Trump supporter, I'd call you more of a contrarian. As for Putin as strategist and tactician, I really haven't spoken to that. He is, however, a malign force in this world and is determined to undermine democracy and the West.