Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Screw it. I'm 53, w/diabetes, hi-blood pressure, yadda, yadda, yadda. I've got maybe 20 years left, tops. After that, I could really give a shit one way or another. I didn't make the mess, I wasn't asked my opinion in the 1st place, & they won't ask me how to clean it up, 'cause the feckin' politicos KNOW everything, anyway. But it IS a shame our generation is gonna leave stuff in such a cocked-up mess for someone else to straighten out...
Funny, but I grew in the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Now we've went to shit and the hogs are eating us.

Somebody needs their ass kicked.

And like Sandy, I didn't make the rules.

Chas
Old 03-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Curious, what would the cost have been had GM gone under?

I mean I understand that your $21 would have been kept in your pocket but what would the ramifications of this have been?
The capitalist system would have ratcheted, just like it's supposed to. Since when did it become a good idea to reward failure and punish success. Think about it man, that's fucked up.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
If they don't they will be toiling under new masters. All these bills are going to come due one day.
Amen brother.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM

I think THAT'S what ticks me off about The Left more than anything else-Their incessant scolding. Look, Hoss, I was born in '57. I never kicked a black kid's ass, never kept him/her from attending school, was always respectful to women, elders of ANY color...I never polluted rivers, streams or the air-Well, except when I "Cut One", & that's not really by choice. Never prevented anyone from voting, If I knew of anyone who needed a ride to the polling place, if they asked, I'd be more than happy to take them. I never begrudged anyone who made more money than I did, & was always happy to see when somebody who wasn't as well off as I was "Do well". I suppose I can be held responsible for things that happened since 1975, when I turned 18, but to hold me responsible for enslaving blacks, disenfranchising women, Native Americans, polluting rivers & streams, all this other stuff- ESPECIALLY way before I was even born, or old enuff to KNOW about it- Fuggeddaboutit !!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I think THAT'S what ticks me off about The Left more than anything else-Their incessant scolding. Look, Hoss, I was born in '57. I never kicked a black kid's ass, never kept him/her from attending school, was always respectful to women, elders of ANY color...I never polluted rivers, streams or the air-Well, except when I "Cut One", & that's not really by choice. Never prevented anyone from voting, If I knew of anyone who needed a ride to the polling place, if they asked, I'd be more than happy to take them. I never begrudged anyone who made more money than I did, & was always happy to see when somebody who wasn't as well off as I was "Do well". I suppose I can be held responsible for things that happened since 1975, when I turned 18, but to hold me responsible for enslaving blacks, disenfranchising women, Native Americans, polluting rivers & streams, all this other stuff- ESPECIALLY way before I was even born, or old enuff to KNOW about it- Fuggeddaboutit !!
POST OF THE YEAR!

That gave me goosebumps Sandy.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I follow what you are saying, but don't quite follow what you were responding to. Were you pointing to any particular "scolding" in this thread.

As far as the responsibility for polluting rivers and streams, we all probably buy products from companies that pollute. We are at least indirectly "benefiting" from the pollution to the extent that the price of the products does not reflect the cost of cleaning up the mess that the manufacturers make. Somewhere along the line, someone will bear that cost. In the long run, we will either pay higher prices because of the cost of cleanup, pay higher taxes because of the cost of cleanup, consume less, or sit back and watch people die from the effects of the pollution - or all of the above. It's not all your fault, it's not all my fault, but the problem belongs to all of us.

I am proud to be an American, but that doesn't mean that we can't make this place a cleaner, more just, more peaceful, and even a happier place to live. Just one of the many ways we can make that happen will be to conclude that we don't become happier by having more stuff.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Wasn't necessarily responding to ANY particular post or person. I'll "Man-up" to stuff I did, but don't go layin' a guilt trip on me for stuff I had no part in. The only thing any of us can change is stuff in the future-try to do better on a go-forward basis.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:28 PM

I'll be the first to admit, I've got more "stuff" than I know what to do with. I need to work up the gumption to unload a bunch of it on Fleabay.

Chas
Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Wasn't necessarily responding to ANY particular post or person. I'll "Man-up" to stuff I did, but don't go layin' a guilt trip on me for stuff I had no part in. The only thing any of us can change is stuff in the future-try to do better on a go-forward basis.
I think we agree. To a certain extent, that what my last trial was about - people wanting to hold the union responsible for things that had happened 20-30 years ago. Even with respect to the environmental issues, economic issues, etc., the only option we have is to try to do better on a go-forward basis.

How we go about it affected a lot by politics, but I think we agree that taking personal responsibility is a large part as well. For example, I already suggested that I need to take some personal responsibility by consuming less. Two desired results from that are to borrow less and save more (as well as creating less waste for the environment and more room behind my belt). While spending less doesn't exactly pump up the economy, saving more at least provides funds for investments.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-14-2010, 04:12 PM

I've noticed that no debt and money in the bank has a calming effect on me far in excess of a Blue Valium.

And I'm of no intention of taking on any debt unless I can calculate a way to turn a profit on it. Perhaps I should give up on construction and develop a different way to leverage myself.

Chas