Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Loyal Opposition

Now there's an economic policy for you. Take care of the poor by letting them buy cheap crap. Meanwhile, create all sorts of tax shelters and incentives to take money and production offshore and starve our domestic industries.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Now there's an economic policy for you. Take care of the poor by letting them buy cheap crap. Meanwhile, create all sorts of tax shelters and incentives to take money and production offshore and starve our domestic industries.

Regards,

D-Ray
Sounds a lot like Wally Worlds modus operandi to me!

Barney
Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
Those that are wearing that cheap Chinese new school cloths might think differently. Just becasue something is cheap doesn't mean its not equivalent to the higher priced. Particularly when even the highly touted brand names are made in the same factory. For instance, I've purchased boots that range in price from $29.00 to $300.00 a pair. Aside from the $300.00 pair, I found no difference in the quality within the $29.00 to $110.00 range. In fact, I like my emergency Walmart boot purchase the best because the value. The best are the $300.00 pair, but I only use them for more serious hiking.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Those that are wearing that cheap Chinese new school cloths might think differently. Just becasue something is cheap doesn't mean its not equivalent to the higher priced. Particularly when even the highly touted brand names are made in the same factory. For instance, I've purchased boots that range in price from $29.00 to $300.00 a pair. Aside from the $300.00 pair, I found no difference in the quality within the $29.00 to $110.00 range. In fact, I like my emergency Walmart boot purchase the best because the value. The best are the $300.00 pair, but I only use them for more serious hiking.
Not to be too much of a prick but, if you can afford $300 boots, you probably have no idea what the poor deal with. Also, if you think the quality of the chinese stuff at walmart is acceptable, then we have a huge difference of opinion. Most of the stuff at walmart(clothing specifically) is just garbage - nearly disposable. My $0.02 obviously.

BTW - thanks for tolerating my grumpy outbursts!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Not to be too much of a prick but, if you can afford $300 boots, you probably have no idea what the poor deal with. Also, if you think the quality of the chinese stuff at walmart is acceptable, then we have a huge difference of opinion. Most of the stuff at walmart(clothing specifically) is just garbage - nearly disposable. My $0.02 obviously.
I consdered the $300.00 boots a tool to keep me out of an ER visit. That was the only way I justified them. Here in San Diego I dress in jeans or shorts most of the time. I buy both at Walmart or Costco. I have purchased highend jeans at Nordstoms that I occasionally wear. I can't discern any difference in quality. I only like button down collared white or blue oxford cloth dress shirts, but I'm usually wearing a Hanes Tagless Pocket T in grey or tan. I do splurge on Pendleton Wool shirts with the reinforced elbows. In shoes, despite being to the right, I wear leftist Birkenstock sandles, Uggs, and hiking boots.

I do wish I still lived in an area where I could dress for colder weather. This time of year I miss the change in seasons.

Quote:
BTW - thanks for tolerating my grumpy outbursts!
I've been quite grumpy myself. It's been 98 degrees here with high humidity and I was up all night ferreting out a server problem.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

Gotta chime in. I don't know about shoes, but China makes a terrible metal product. If you built Hot Rods, you would run from anything Chinese if possible.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM

I have learned the hard way. You get what you pay for in footwear. Same goes for Booze, guns and women. Along with others but the list is long.

Barney
Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Gotta chime in. I don't know about shoes, but China makes a terrible metal product. If you built Hot Rods, you would run from anything Chinese if possible.
I hate Chinese tools and most of their metal products; however, I do have a wok that has served me well for the last 20 years. This reminds me I must get to my Chinese Refrain thread and update it.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I have learned the hard way. You get what you pay for in footwear. Same goes for Booze, guns and women. Along with others but the list is long.

Barney
Except for Nike!

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Not quite sure how the Chinese do it but we somehow wound up with a made in China blanket. Florence put it in the wash and after it had gone through wash, rinse and spin all we found in the machine was summat that looked like wet grey cardboard mush. It had been a blue blanket.