Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Area Man

My 401ks have nearly tripled since 2009, sitting at ~$290,000.

I know people who shut theirs down in 2009, because they were convinced (By the rightwing propaganda machine.) that Obama was going to destroy the economy and install a Communist dictatorship.....................

Morons.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The market has been very kind to my investments of late too. The GOP will do their best to fuck it up when the next budget ceiling brouhaha comes around this Fall.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts. Look at the trading volumes and see how much inertia there is at 15,000. It's a fart in the wind.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts. Look at the trading volumes and see how much inertia there is at 15,000. It's a fart in the wind.
I'm not so sure. Valuations are still pretty favorable from a technical perspective.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Area Man

They have to. Otherwise, people might start thinking things aren't so bad.

Pat, I really do believe this is why they wanted to be rid of the current administration by now. They knew it was coming and wanted to be in the spotlight when it did. Could you imagine the trumpeting we'd be listening to right now if this had happened during a Romney administration? Remember his comment that all he had to do is get elected and the economy would fix itself? Remember Reagan slapping backs, grandstanding and congratulating himself when the market started to rise in '84....................................

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'm not so sure. Valuations are still pretty favorable from a technical perspective.
Because the feds are printing $85B/mo. That's $1.2T a year. How long do you think they can manage that and maintain civility? I think that's part of the game. People know it's a merry go round of bits in databases. How long before they get pissed that a few people get to have big yachts because they play with databases that represent dollars while other workers get peanuts for playing with databases that represent auto parts?

The other day I spoke with a small manufacturer and he sure did not have anything nice to say about the banking industry and fees.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
The other day I spoke with a small manufacturer and he sure did not have anything nice to say about the banking industry and fees.
The banking industry is only a small part of the Dow, though admittedly they can phuck things up disproportionately to their valuation on the Dow.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM

It's a legal crap game. But how many chickens and tomato plants do you have time to take care of?

So place your bets, boys...there's a winner every time!

Chas

PS: I don't trust any of the bastards. Right on down the line.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Area Man

Unfortunately, it's the only game left if I ever want to quit working before I die and not end up homeless.

What's that up ahead? Looks like storm clouds a bubblin' up. Must be all those folks who are gettin' old...............and totally unprepared.

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 PM

I'm in for the long haul, and always have been, so I left all my money in. The stock market then did what it historically always has: it rises to it's former high water mark and then some. Get rich quick schemes are for suckers. Getting rich slow is the time honored method that no one pays much attention to, but it works nearly every time.