Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
No one is suggesting that the US Government is a theocracy. However, Treaty you reference settled a dispute between the US and theocratic regimes. To include language that religious opinions should not be the basis of future disputes was deemed a prudent political addition. Also, the US Constitution is a document that proscribes the mechanics of the Federal Government, so there's no need to mention "God" in such a document. Alternatively, I believe some relevance can be attached to the fact that the very first amendment to the constitution is the one that protects religious freedom.

But to use that language from the Treaty to negate the idea that human rights and freedoms flowed "from Laws of Nature and of Nature's God", and that the authors of the Constitution ignored this idea when drafting the Constitution and other founding documents is a false notion. Whey else, then, does the Declaration make reference to "God", "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God", "divine Providence", etc., if these concepts were not relevant to the signatories of that document.

Also, if you want to focus on treaty language, may I refer you to the Treaty with Tunis in 1797, which contains the language which describes the President of the United States as:

"the most distinguished among those who profess the religion of the Messiah, of whom may the end be happy."
The language is clear, Whell. "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" means just what it says, ergo: we are not a "Christian nation" as is so tiresomely bandied about by the Fundies.

The First Amendment is there to ensure that no religious orthodoxy would be imposed upon the citizenry. A "Christian nation" would by definition require just such an orthodoxy or, at the very least, an official State religion.

The Declaration of Independence is not, in the strictest sense, a "founding document" of this country. Rather, it is a declaration of our intent to sever relations with the nation of which we were then a part.

The Treaty with the Bey of Tunis was ancillary to the Treaty of Tripoli, as Tunis was one of the Barbary States with which we were at war. The reference to the President was just that, a reference to the President: a person, not the country. We now have an African American president. Are we then an African American nation? God help us if he really is a Muslim!

John
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 PM

You're pretty amusing there boobabode. I'd bet more than I've got riding on Obama losing this election now (and that's a pretty sure bet these days) that you'll not last a day posting your infantile hieroglyphics rather than responding to my posts as I'm quite certain that your fortitude is at least as weak as most other areas of your dismally flawed worldview and stunted intellect as have relvealed themselves here over time.

I'm guessing that your mysterious genius will indeed divulge itself in the form of approximately three days worth of posts/responses conveying how you intend not to respond to me ever again.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Look what the cat dragged in Howdy Waslliaguy.

Pete
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Look what the cat dragged in Howdy Waslliaguy.

Pete
Howdy Pete! You been holding down the fort? Looks like nothing has changed here. Two good eyes but they still don't see...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Btw Wasilla, hasn't it been bludgeoned into your head enough to KNOW that we were an athiest nation?

Or maybe Muslim

Pete
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Heah, I never mentioned how long "under God" had been there, other than to say it's been my whole life.
If it was just to differentiate us from the commies, we probably don't need it any more, huh?
I'm not too worried. If you can't get God out of your convention, fat chance you'll get it removed from the pledge, or the currency, or the federal buildings.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'm not too worried. If you can't get God out of your convention, fat chance you'll get it removed from the pledge, or the currency, or the federal buildings.
President Obama will be heartbroken to read this. It was to be the Crowning Achievement of his second term.

Are all you guys really this paranoid or do you just like herring?

John
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
If you can't get God out of your convention, fat chance you'll get it removed from the pledge, or the currency, or the federal buildings.
As mentioned, "Under God" in The Pledge of Allegiance: 1954.

"In God We Trust" as the official motto of the US: 1956.

Of course, nobody's trying to get rid of these or other "God" references. That will come later, after we win the War on Christmas.

John
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Maybe scrape it off Jeffersons' monument

Pete
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Nah, nothings changed, Democrats are still always wrong, and you can still spit on the floor & call the cat a bastard

What's your avatar?

Pete