Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 PM

COP 15 opening ceremony video

This is just too good not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSuP...eature=related

And I thought the Republicans were the party of fear!!!!

Chas
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Yeah and it gripes my ass that they are teaching this crap to my 8 year old
in school. They try to get em brainwashed at an early age thinking animals
can talk and they have families and such. Where's Batman and The
Lone Ranger when we need them. BAM POW SMASH OUCH
Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
Yeah and it gripes my ass that they are teaching this crap to my 8 year old
in school. They try to get em brainwashed at an early age thinking animals
can talk and they have families and such. Where's Batman and The
Lone Ranger when we need them. BAM POW SMASH OUCH
I hear you brother. Was trying to post Ted Nugent's interview on deer hunting with the French journalist, but my copy and paste functions seem to have gone south.

But schools have always been an exercise in creating worker bees. Don't teach 'em how to think, teach 'em WHAT to think.

Chas
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is just too good not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSuP...eature=related

And I thought the Republicans were the party of fear!!!!

Chas
So, the Democrats made that video?

Man, you guys..........

John
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I hear you brother. Was trying to post Ted Nugent's interview on deer hunting with the French journalist, but my copy and paste functions seem to have gone south.
Thank God! The Nuge is a freaking idiot!

Quote:
But schools have always been an exercise in creating worker bees. Don't teach 'em how to think, teach 'em WHAT to think.
As a general statement that's not true. From the beginning schools essentially followed Socratic principles. That's all about learning how to think. Unfortunately, it hasn't exactly stayed that way.

John
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Chas
How we got that way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_education_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Mann

John
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
So, the Democrats made that video?

Man, you guys..........

John
I was just trolling for Noon.

That said, cap and trade is the Democrat's baby. Don't tell me for a second that the Democrat's aren't as capable of fear mongering as the Republicans.

That was my point.

Chas
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I was just trolling for Noon.
OOPS! Sorry I blew it for you!

Hey, maybe Archbishop Tutu should go on the ticket next time instead of Byden. Then we'd have two Nobel laureates in the White House!

Quote:
That said, cap and trade is the Democrat's baby.
Here yes, but in other countries it isn't really a partisan issue at all. The only reason it's a political issue here is that all the Republicans and a hell of a lot of the Democrats are working for the CO2 producers like oil and coal companies, utility companies, etc.

Quote:
Don't tell me for a second that the Democrat's aren't as capable of fear mongering as the Republicans.
Well, both parties are quite willing to manipulate public opinion to their advantage. It's just that the Dems aren't quite cynical enough to be as good at as the Repubs are.

In general the Republicans are far better at playing dirty than the Democrats. It's a little like watching the WWE go up against the Berkeley varsity wrestling squad.

John
Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Thank God! The Nuge is a freaking idiot!

As a general statement that's not true. From the beginning schools essentially followed Socratic principles. That's all about learning how to think. Unfortunately, it hasn't exactly stayed that way.

John
Simply because Nugent thinks differently than yourself, and also many times myself, doesn't make him "a freaking idiot".

And schooling is pitiful. Once the little nimrods pick up on readin', writin', and 'rithmetic, why not teach them about credit, interest rates, how and what the "Federal Reserve" is, etc.

Open their eyes, drop "The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave" crapola. Discuss "conscription" during the Civil War, how "The Teapot Dome Scandal" is the norm and not an aberration.

Sending these poor kids out in the world just as dumb as a stump and with no appreciation as to how the world actually works doesn't help them in the least. It's like training HVAC techs, but without explaining to them that refrigeration doesn't create "cool", it removes "heat. You wind up with a bunch of idiot techs who think that you can cool your house by opening the door on the fridge.

So we wind up with a bunch of voters who can't make any sort of a proper evaluation as they have no idea of how things actually work. But they make pretty good worker bees...so long as you don't try to get them to fix your air squezzer.

Perhaps a simplistic analogy, but you get my drift?

Chas

PS: If we were to ever start teaching the little pricks something of interest, and show them how it directly affects them, they might even start paying attention.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Simply because Nugent thinks differently than yourself, and also many times myself, doesn't make him "a freaking idiot".

And schooling is pitiful. Once the little nimrods pick up on readin', writin', and 'rithmetic, why not teach them about credit, interest rates, how and what the "Federal Reserve" is, etc.

Open their eyes, drop "The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave" crapola. Discuss "conscription" during the Civil War, how "The Teapot Dome Scandal" is the norm and not an aberration.

Sending these poor kids out in the world just as dumb as a stump and with no appreciation as to how the world actually works doesn't help them in the least. It's like training HVAC techs, but without explaining to them that refrigeration doesn't create "cool", it removes "heat. You wind up with a bunch of idiot techs who think that you can cool your house by opening the door on the fridge.

So we wind up with a bunch of voters who can't make any sort of a proper evaluation as they have no idea of how things actually work. But they make pretty good worker bees...so long as you don't try to get them to fix your air squezzer.

Perhaps a simplistic analogy, but you get my drift?

Chas

PS: If we were to ever start teaching the little pricks something of interest, and show them how it directly affects them, they might even start paying attention.
Chas, I agree with all of this except for two things.

1. Nugent is an a-hole whether I agree with him or not.
2. All the things you say should be taught were taught to me - in the Baltimore County, Maryland public schools, even the HVAC stuff.

When I grew up our system of public education was the model for the whole freakin' planet. Now it's a very bad joke.

As for the Teapot Dome scandal, we were left to ourselves to decide whether that was an aberration or just business as usual but we had all the information we needed. Same with conscription, including the "back door" where you could legally pay someone to take your place.

John