Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That would be fine; however, they spun the movie story for the better part of a week. That is, they did not wait before they spoke, rather, they went with a story line that was the least damaging to Obama. Moreover, he should have made some generic statement in a more timely manner IMHO.
Shit, this is getting REALLY tiresome! The movie IS what the demonstrations in the ME were about. The terrorists in Libya used the one there for cover. In the aftermath, it was the demonstrators who took Ambassador Stevens to the hospital.

Man, what you guys won't do to trash the President!

John
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Oh okay.When I read the complete story, not the truncated version the OP put up my first impression was so what it's Olson,just more whiney crybaby shit morphing into an adolescent rant. Weh, weh, weh. Olson can go effing cry to someone who cares. What a sobbing little punk. No sympathy here. I wouldn't piss on his head if his hair was on fire. Somebody needs to send him a crate of Depends and a pacifier.
Who's Olson?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Admin

Quote:
I cited it and thought the context was obvious. It was interesting seeing a lot of Obama's little jabs in one place when directed at something other than his political opponents. I initially wasn't planning on posting that much and pieced it together. I'm most sorry for not meeting your lofty standards of intellectual honesty.
Lofty standards? How about some minimal stardards? Just quote the thing instead of playing games, sheesh.

BTW Boreas is right it's a shitty little racist piece masquerading as political discussion.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Shit, this is getting REALLY tiresome! The movie IS what the demonstrations in the ME were about. The terrorists in Libya used the one there for cover. In the aftermath, it was the demonstrators who took Ambassador Stevens to the hospital.

Man, what you guys won't do to trash the President!

John
Do you really think the movie caused the ME hatred of America? Sorry, but I do not think the people from the M.E. are so isolated that they can't come up with better reasons to protest against the West. BTW, if your perspective is the correct one, then what do you suggest as a solution? Ban tasteless movies? Isolate the Middle East from modern communication? Have the world tiptoe around in fear of awakening the ire of Islam?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
Who's Olson?
Corrected. It's Hanson but you knew that.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Do you really think the movie caused the ME hatred of America? Sorry, but I do not think the people from the M.E. are so isolated that they can't come up with better reasons to protest against the West. BTW, if your perspective is the correct one, then what do you suggest as a solution? Ban tasteless movies? Isolate the Middle East from modern communication? Have the world tiptoe around in fear of awakening the ire of Islam?
The "ME" doesn't hate America any more than America hates the Middle East. Your kind of thinking is a huge part of the difficulty that people in both America and the Middle East face when trying to reach accommodation.

My solution is to hold to our principles and not give in to the racism and inflammatory behavior with which some here constantly goad the people of the Middle East. I would expect the same sort of restraint on the part of people in the Middle East.

And I would refrain from absurd and facetious responses to their legitimate grievances. Perhaps that might temper their response.

John
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Here's a pretty good article explaining why it is that Muslims get so outraged over silly stuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...377_story.html
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Here's a pretty good article explaining why it is that Muslims get so outraged over silly stuff.

That was indeed a good article and is just about the same position that Victor Hanson has. Of course, the expansionist history of Islam came through their military exploits and their resolute subjugation of others. I'm not quite sure anyone in the West would want that repeated. My position is that their religion is sufficiently dogmatic to preclude the changes necessary for a peacefui coexistence with modernity. I'm also not certain that the early bifurcation of Islam can be solved without continued bloodshed. A new Saladin might be able to present a unifying figure capable of coalescing the quarreling parties.

Imparted on this is the West's historic interference and involvement in their entire land playing one faction or tribalist against another. The contradistinction between the West and the Middle East lends much insight. Whereas our Enlightenment and Renaissance did much to offer an alternative, more humanist perspective, Islam has yet to undergo such profound change and does not have the requisite intellectual history for a similar transition.

Last edited by bhunter; 09-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Corrected. It's Hanson but you knew that.
Nah. I actually went and looked for Olson via Google then went to New Republic looking for an Olson on staff. Finally, since it is Friday, I thought you may have tipped a few and mispelled Hanson, but then decided I might miss something, thus, I asked.

Last edited by bhunter; 09-21-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

Very good, and from a pretty conservative/libertarian source: Fouad Ajami of the Hoover Institution.

John