Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Loyal Opposition

Let me put it this way. My firm's services are part of the benefits the union provides. Over the years we have been able to get the jobs back for hundreds of workers through the arbitration process. We have been able to enforce the wage and hour laws for the benefit of workers, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, the WARN Act, ERISA, and other laws, and usually at half of the hourly rate of the folks sitting across the table. Why the lower rate? Because our fees are paid with union dues and because I sleep better at night knowing that my services were not used to screw the workers.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
No. It was a production facility, and did something I would never do - staffed their line almost exclusively with temps. The driver was there on a delivery.

But thanks

Temps have their place. And when you're done with them, you can just toss'em in a dumpster

Pete
Like I said, that POS was a real "friend of the workingman".....

Just the sort of behavior we should facilitate and encourage. So that one day, we will all be so much better off........................

Yeah, okay.

Dave
Old 07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Let me put it this way. My firm's services are part of the benefits the union provides. Over the years we have been able to get the jobs back for hundreds of workers through the arbitration process. We have been able to enforce the wage and hour laws for the benefit of workers, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, the WARN Act, ERISA, and other laws, and usually at half of the hourly rate of the folks sitting across the table. Why the lower rate? Because our fees are paid with union dues and because I sleep better at night knowing that my services were not used to screw the workers.

Regards,

D-Ray
Don, no rightwinger is going to understand this;

".....I sleep better at night knowing that my services were not used to screw the workers."

They think this just makes you a fool for not seizing the opportunity to make the big money, or they think you're lying. That you're really a millionaire, cruising around in a Bently lighting c-notes with a $50 cigar.....on the workers dime.

I became pretty good friends with the union rep that made those a-holes honor their contractual commitment and advised me well on how to protect myself for the following three years. I'd been to his home and met his family. They were not "wealthy" by any measure. I know the truth, I've experienced it.

Dave
Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I've mentioned this story before... I was working selling temporary help (I know, the Great Evil ) and talking to the vice pres at a client company.

I ended up being present during a conversation between the exec and a truck driver. The driver talked about how their used to be two parties at the negotiating table, the owners and the workers, with the workers repped by their unions. Now (he said) there's three, the owners, the workers, and the unions. He believed 'the unions' (he was certainly speaking to the Teamsters union) were working for themselves and a leech. As he walked away he said something like 'long live the workers'

Very entertaining.

Pete
So, it's bad that the unions will even let a scabby truck driver join? Anecdotal and biased pete. Didja talk to the union rep? Where was he?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Loyal Opposition

OK, I finally got it, Bill. You were asking this question about paying union dues so that you could bring up this story about union officers telling you that they don't pay dues. And now your big point is that I don't pay dues to organizations that I represent, but which I can't join, so therefore I must not believe in them. I am mortally wounded.

Oh, and about this story, did you investigative skills solve the mystery about the fire. Did those efforts result in a conviction of the perp, or are you satisfied with the innuendo about possible union involvement?

Lets discuss the source of your income now, Bill. You have cited you military service. Do you now receive pension payments from the military? Do you receive social security benefits and/or disability benefits? Do you use the VA hospital? Do you use Medicare? Do you pay taxes on your benefits? C'mon let's provide a full context for our discussion.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
So, it's bad that the unions will even let a scabby truck driver join? Anecdotal and biased pete. Didja talk to the union rep? Where was he?
You don't believe me Bob

Absolutely true and he sure looked like an old timer driver. I was amazed.

My experience in a union shop, Brotherhood of Carpenters (made trade show displays so shop work, not site work), I was pretty impressed.

Not with all the rank and file (one guy told me 'if this was Vegas they'd have broken your fingers already') but most of them, and with the shop steward who was a fair and strong man, and the comfort level.

Pete
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
OK, I finally got it, Bill. You were asking this question about paying union dues so that you could bring up this story about union officers telling you that they don't pay dues. And now your big point is that I don't pay dues to organizations that I represent, but which I can't join, so therefore I must not believe in them. I am mortally wounded.

Oh, and about this story, did you investigative skills solve the mystery about the fire. Did those efforts result in a conviction of the perp, or are you satisfied with the innuendo about possible union involvement?

Lets discuss the source of your income now, Bill. You have cited you military service. Do you now receive pension payments from the military? Do you receive social security benefits and/or disability benefits? Do you use the VA hospital? Do you use Medicare? Do you pay taxes on your benefits? C'mon let's provide a full context for our discussion.

Regards,

D-Ray

Well D-Ray,

It was a short investigation for a triple murder, as the three men were tied up with telephone wire, and left to burn to death. And whitenesses who refused to go on record, fearing for their lives, heard union officials threaten the Voice Officials and Organizers.

So early one day, we received word that the fire was electrical, and the death of the three men was accidental ? The pockets are deep, and their arms are very long. Case CLOSED! Internal and political Corruption was the reason I left Law Enforcement, and NO, not corruption on my part.

Their point was made, and no further attempt was made to re-start the challenging union.

As for the sources of my income dear d-ray, you'll have to speak to my accountant. But be assured that I pay taxes on all and any income I receive. Just as I am sure that you do also, being an honorable man and good American. As soon as you post you 1040-A, I'll post mine

Last edited by Big_Bill; 07-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
It was a short investigation for a triple murder, as the three men were tied up with telephone wire, and left to burn to death. And whitenesses who refused to go on record, fearing for their lives, heard union officials threaten the Voice Officials and Organizers.

So early one day, we received word that the fire was electrical, and the death of the three men was accidental ? The pockets are deep, and their arms are very long. Case CLOSED
Where was this?

John
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Where was this?

John
Well, you see, he was a Navy SEAL but all the records were burned in that fire in St. Louis...

I guess we'll just have to trust Bill, his memory and his intellect?

Last edited by Zeke; 07-05-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

You mean, old unions might have ties to violent crime? The shock! The horror!

Pete