Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:08 PM

Lots of “witnessing” from Insane and El, it doesn’t mean a whole lot to an atheist. I don’t have time now, but later on I’ll delve into this a bit more deeply. And citing the Bible means nothing to an atheist either. It is a compilation of HUMAN writings that are steeped in myth and superstition. I am not impressed.
Humanism has the answers.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:10 PM

Steve

The Bible is useless because it doesn't deter people from committing crimes (?)

The fear of going to prison doesn't seem to deter crimes. Are prisons useless ?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Moses and the Qur’an

Here’s an interesting trivia question that hardly anyone gets right: What person is mentioned by name the most times in the Qur’an? If you guessed Muhammad you’d be wrong, because he’s referred to by name only four times in the approximately 6,300 verses of Islam’s sacred text. The correct answer is Moses, who is named a remarkable 115 times. More narrative is devoted to him than to any other person, biblical or not. That fact takes many non-Muslims by surprise...

Oh, Moses figures heavily in the Jewish bible, too. So, your response justifies Islam and Judaism. Good job!
Thanks.

I've read the Qua'ran.

The Big Three religions are all based on the same core theology, but they split radically over the identity and relevance of Jesus Christ.

Islam and Judaism exist. Their beliefs can't be reconciled with the New Testament of the Christian Bible.

Islam says Jesus was just another prophet, another John the Baptist prelude to Muhammad.

Judaism says Jesus was a heretic. A blasphemer.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:37 PM

""Study: One-fifth of Jewish millennials believe Jesus is the son of God""

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Study...-of-God-512015
Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElCat View Post
Steve

Not quite what I said, there's an inference that Christianity is essential for an ethical meaningful life. There is scant evidence that either is correct, and that belief deterrs criminal behavior.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Ready

Quote:
Steve

Worse than useless, often enough. But that's another thread.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Ready

Quote:
The claim makes perfect sense. 'Don't believe in the other bullshit, I AM. I AM God'.

The direct evidence was destroyed when Moses threw down the stone table.

The Bible doesn't say what happened to the fragments of the table.

You could say the Bible isn't credible, because the story is too goofy. The authors are virtually unknown.

But God's claim as the only God has credibility in the context of the 'story'.
You're not getting it. Let's say the Christian God is real as described. Some guy may believe in Him, or he may not. If he doesn't since we're saying God is real, the guy us making a mistake. He's wrong about this matter. But why does making this mistake render him damned, while the mistake of torturing babies, for example, is forgivable? Why should God be so touchy about whether people believe in him or not?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Gotta go to work guys.

Like I said, we can't know why God does what He does.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Gotta go to work guys.

Like I said, we can't know why God does what He does.
Or maybe it's all just a huge myth.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:26 PM

"BTW, your post shows an utter ignorance on the whole issue. I don't know where you got that end times meme from or what that has to do with anything here. Nobody knows when he's returning."

Utter ignorance? Are you doing ad hom? And I already answered that. He's not coming back. Ever. No matter what the Bible says. And I was exactly correct. There are plenty of both lay and ministers who are foreseeing signs that the end times are near, and they can show it by reference to the Book of Revelation. And it's been like that for 2000 years, every generation has lots of people who are claiming that the end times are near.

"And not to put too fine a point on it, but he satisfied over 300 prophesies and yet not a single person on the entire planet knew who he was. This includes those that walked with him and received direct teaching from him for over three years."

Yes, apologists have spent a lot of time backing in the prophesies to make the claim that they apply to Jesus. They probably apply to a lot of people, actually.

"They all got it wrong - until AFTER his death and resurrection."

And the brand new Christians expected him to come back fairly immediately after the Resurrection and it didn't happen then and it hasn't happened for 2000 years, etc.
And the Bible has, as you know, at least three DIFFERENT versions of the Resurrection that have some major differences between them, such as the earthquake that appeared in one story but not in the others, the time that the women arrived, etc etc etc. And thus the Bible cannot be defined as "truth" because obviously the details in some or all of the stories are simply not true.
For a more detailed explanation of the differences: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/crosse...ion-account-3/

A more likely scenario is that there were grave robbers. The Jews may have robbed the grave to keep the Christians from using the body as an icon. The Christians may have robbed the grave to keep the Jews from having access. Or maybe it was just common thief grave robbers. For more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_body_hypothesis