Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Area Man

Then, why didn't they just come here? A whole lot of them did, and do quite well. For that matter quite a few did stay in Europe and seem to do pretty good there too. With the possible exception of those trapped in Soviet Bloc nations, unfortunately.

Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I agree that government work in their best interests. The scope and scale of antisemitism at its' worst caused reactions though. Unless FDR was inhuman?

Pete
Oh, now what sinister anti-Semitic plot did FDR hatch? Was he in cahoots with Henry Ford on that?

Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm saying that if FDR did not shudder in horror at the holocaust and attempt to shape a world where it didn't happen again he would've been inhuman.

It so happens, he did After his admin turned away Jewish refugees though.

When are folks going to hold the MEs hatemongers feet to the fire? They've taken their hate-ins straight out of 1984 with a good dose of nazi.

Pete

Pete
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Resident octogenarian

Unfortunately for all concerned there was simply a move to co-exist in the area and would have gone quite peacefully. Bot hot heads on both sides decided that would be too much of a good thing and it all hit the fan. Lord balfour did not help either, but all this was back in 1930 and everyone has forgotten.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I'm saying that if FDR did not shudder in horror at the holocaust and attempt to shape a world where it didn't happen again he would've been inhuman.

It so happens, he did After his admin turned away Jewish refugees though.

When are folks going to hold the MEs hatemongers feet to the fire? They've taken their hate-ins straight out of 1984 with a good dose of nazi.

Pete

Pete
Ah, yes, "Two Minutes Hate".

Kind of like teabaggers shouting down any discernable discussion at town hall meetings a few years ago.......

Really, what do you expect? I mean it's not like we never supported Mubarack or even Saddam.........

Or does this make me an "apologist"?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-05-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I agree that government work in their best interests. The scope and scale of antisemitism at its' worst caused reactions though. Unless FDR was inhuman?

Pete
Human or inhuman had nothing to do with it. We had already liberated the camps. That is all that is ever done for oppressed people. Why set up a country???????

Tactical.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 PM

Because it wasn't just about what happened to the Jewish folks at the hands of Germany. Many Jews came to the US, but the overwhelming majority at that time were either in the Middle East or Europe. Antisemitism runs very deep in both the Middle East and Europe, and history is replete with examples of why the Jewish folks would never be fully welcome always be treated as pariahs...unless they had someplace of their own.

Last edited by whell; 04-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Human or inhuman had nothing to do with it. We had already liberated the camps. That is all that is ever done for oppressed people. Why set up a country???????

Tactical.
Near as I recall they set it up themsleves, afterward the UN simply recognized the fact. the only country that had boots on the ground was the UK - and they were not exactly helping.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Near as I recall they set it up themsleves, afterward the UN simply recognized the fact. the only country that had boots on the ground was the UK - and they were not exactly helping.
QFT
History is damn inconvenient isn't it.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Kind of a gross over-simplification of the process, don'tcha think?