Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 PM

What about the people who paid their vehicles off over a decade ago and have no way in hell of being able to borrow and repay a loan for a new car now? They do their best to save up about 3-500 to rebuild the engine or transmission if and when need be and must make do with ''what they have?'' And a newer used car breaks down it cost a Whole Lot More to repair then their older one. Is it fair to bend them over with 6.00 a gallon gas to teach everyone to get away from anything other than smallest up to date gas saving thing on the market?

As a mechanic, I see this a-lot, and from a-lot of good people who worked their asses off and can not afford payments on anything, they do the very best they can with what they have, and couldn't afford to trade their liability insurance they carry on their paid for vehicle for full coverage insurance on a vehicle that would be required by any bank to carry on anything that you borrow for. Yall have no idea how many people would hurt by fucking them into paying more tax for fuel, or forcing them to loose their home trying to pay for a car that everyone else thinks they orta drive.

It is very easy to agree to If You Can Afford It. But for those who can't, it only adds doom to their already poverty stricken situation. And no, not everyone can sell their rual home and move to town, because for one, the difference in housing costs are so much higher near or in town they'd not have enough to buy another home.

And to be honest, the reason it does get my attention is because ''I am'' one of those people who can't afford it.

Last edited by hillbilly; 04-16-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
What about the people who paid their vehicles off over a decade ago and have no way in hell of being able to borrow and repay a loan for a new car now? They do their best to save up about 3-500 to rebuild the engine or transmission if and when need be and must make do with ''what they have?'' And a newer used car breaks down it cost a Whole Lot More to repair then their older one. Is it fair to bend them over with 6.00 a gallon gas to teach everyone to get away from anything other than smallest up to date gas saving thing on the market?

As a mechanic, I see this a-lot, and from a-lot of good people who worked their asses off and can not afford payments on anything, they do the very best they can with what they have, and couldn't afford to trade their liability insurance they carry on their paid for vehicle for full coverage insurance on a vehicle that would be required by any bank to carry on anything that you borrow for. Yall have no idea how many people would hurt by fucking them into paying more tax for fuel, or forcing them to loose their home trying to pay for a car that everyone else thinks they orta drive.

It is very easy to agree to If You Can Afford It. But for those who can't, it only adds doom to their already poverty stricken situation. And no, not everyone can sell their rual home and move to town, because for one, the difference in housing costs are so much higher near or in town they'd not have enough to buy another home.

And to be honest, the reason it does get my attention is because ''I am'' one of those people who can't afford it.
This is just the sort of thing I was talking about, when I criticized the gas tax (and the per mile tax) as regressive. They hit the poorest drivers the hardest.

Fund roads from income tax. What's wrong with that?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 PM

This might be a dumb question when it comes to taxes and roads..... But do commercial truck companies and companies that use primarily the roads to transport pay some sort of tax that supports the maintenance of roads?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Ready

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Yes they do, big fees for truck license plates. I favor usage taxes for commercial vehicles.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
This is just the sort of thing I was talking about, when I criticized the gas tax (and the per mile tax) as regressive. They hit the poorest drivers the hardest.

Fund roads from income tax. What's wrong with that?
I heard TN was talking about forgetting about raising the TN fuel tax any higher and maybe throwing a tax on rubber tires. Folks wouldn't feel the pain until time to buy new tires. The teenagers with a mom and dad bought Mustang & Camaro, etc to raise hell in during highschool years would feel the pain more often than anyone, but maybe that would make them stop drag racing on public roads after buying rear tires 3-4 times a year. Or maybe it wouldn't. :-(
Old 04-16-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post
We have plenty of existing taxes. What we need to do is collect them. Perhaps you've buried your head in the sand this last week, but all I've seen in my news feed and on the web are the very long lists of US companies that have dodged billions in taxes.

Do you require a meme to illustrate the point?
Forgive my ignorance on tax dodgers but I am quite anxious to hear your ideas on how to collect taxes better. (Hint: K Street)
Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 PM

The federal gas guzzler tax seems a good place to tinker. We could raise the fee on vehicles to which the tax applies and/or institute a higher maximum MPG for the first tier. We could also make minivans, light trucks and SUVs subject to the tax.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 04-16-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Yes they do, big fees for truck license plates. I favor usage taxes for commercial vehicles.

Thanks, donq, I like the idea of a usage tax on commercial vehicles too.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
The federal gas guzzler tax seems a good place to tinker. We could raise the fee on vehicles to which the tax applies and/or institute a lower minimum MPG for the first tier. We could also make minivans, light trucks and SUVs subject to the tax.

John
I get about 30mpg in my 94 4cyl 5spd S10. My wife gets about the same with her 99 4cyl 5spd S10. As for family car, I've downsized to a 2000 Cavalier with 4cly automatic over drive that gets close to 36, all of them 2.2 engines that I can afford to rebuild cheap if needed. Under 500 if in decent shape including a new head. If the cyl's need re-bored and the crank is worn we're looking at about 750 total for a major overhaul and go 200k on it. I'm just using my head the best way I know how, because I know what it cost to repair newer vehicles, and know what a new car payment would be too. I'm sticking with the cheapest to repair, and the fact I can't afford a car payment. I make do the best I can and I help other people do the same who can't afford to keep up with the Jones.

I'd like to add though, luckily we don't have rust issues here, so vehicles don't degrade to weather. That is a big help in keeping a vehicle longer.

Last edited by hillbilly; 04-16-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
This might be a dumb question when it comes to taxes and roads..... But do commercial truck companies and companies that use primarily the roads to transport pay some sort of tax that supports the maintenance of roads?
Afaik yes, that was the deal with the devil that took freight off far more efficient rail transport onto trucks to fund the interstate roads.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk