We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Raised a Catholic. Irish Catholic.
Now an athiest verging on anti-theist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Now that we've got a good amount of postings, the follow-up question to this, is....do you believe that your faith, past, present, or lack thereof, has created any of your political views, and if so how? And how is it different from others?
Spending my early years entrenched in catholic ritual seemed very normal at the time. I actually wanted to be a priest at one point.

When I became a teen and started questioning things the level of anger and resentment I got from people, especially my mum, was incredible. Never were any answers provided to any basic questions such as "how are Protestants different from us?", just a quick remark about how horrible they are or some such.

As I learned more about the world and people, the less religion seemed to make any sense. I didn't believe in god long before I know what Athiest really meant.

Now I think organised religion is dangerous. Very dangerous. The religious always have a tint on their view of the world and actions, or a hidden agenda. They can't, in my experience, see things as they really are and act correctly. It's always an "us and them" type view of the world. This has kind of turned much of global politics into a scorpion pit of agendas and stand-offishness. I think religion divides people even more than race or language does.

At least you know where you stand with athiests. They don't automatically hate you, try to bomb your plane/building/abortion clinic or refuse to negotiate equally. All the really bad stuff I have ever seen has been perpatrated by the religious. Bit of a no-brainer which camp to pitch your tent in really.