Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quandary time.

I always expected my nephew would upgrade the engine at some point, or at least try.

Now it seems my sister is on board to this to some degree (surprise!). Up till right now she did NOT want him to have a more powerful car. The Supra is about 190 hp and ft lbs, a 2 door RWD 5 speed with independent rear suspension.

A nice first car. Probably a little much if anything, it is a fun pretty fast car in stock trim. Zero rust, repaint a bit beat up but no damage, interior around 7 of 10, tight steering and suspension, good brakes. Worth being fixed no doubt.

HOWEVER now that the engine swap is thrust upon us my nephew is (rightly from his POV ) scheming for a newer engine that develops 280 hp and 315 ft lbs. Significant.

This is a fairly simple swap, a known swap with tons of directions out there.

I still have some research to do, mostly regarding other component (trans, diff, rear axle) strength and also total cost. But if you please, I'd like to lay out the + and - of it to help clear my head and get some input from yous guys.

Pluses:

1) We're swapping the engine anyway.
2) It will make the car more valuable.
3) It will make the car more fun to drive.

Minuses:

1) It'll make the car more fun to drive into a telephone pole.
2) It does cost more, instead of around $800-1000 it appears to be more like $20-2100 give or take. He will be paying for most of it though and it appears done right will be recoupable upon sale. Assuming he misses telephone poles. But still more out of pocket regardless.
3) It is more work.

I don't mind the extra work, both of us would learn more about wrenching from the upgrade. Assuming it starts when we're done. I'm leaning towards an OK with reservations/conditions.

Any thoughts?

Pete
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Admin

You're a braver soul than I, Pete. Besides, I'm an old fart who values my time sitting on my ass drinkin', scratchin' and fartin' and arguing politics. Oh and twisting up a fatty now and then.

Do it.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Quandary time.

I always expected my nephew would upgrade the engine at some point, or at least try.

Now it seems my sister is on board to this to some degree (surprise!). Up till right now she did NOT want him to have a more powerful car. The Supra is about 190 hp and ft lbs, a 2 door RWD 5 speed with independent rear suspension.

A nice first car. Probably a little much if anything, it is a fun pretty fast car in stock trim. Zero rust, repaint a bit beat up but no damage, interior around 7 of 10, tight steering and suspension, good brakes. Worth being fixed no doubt.

HOWEVER now that the engine swap is thrust upon us my nephew is (rightly from his POV ) scheming for a newer engine that develops 280 hp and 315 ft lbs. Significant.

I still have some research to do, mostly regarding other component (trans, diff, rear axle) strength and also total cost. But if you please, I'd like to lay out the + and - of it to help clear my head and get some input from yous guys.

Pluses:

Minuses:

2) It does cost more, instead of around $800-1000 it appears to be more like $20-2100 give or take. He will be paying for most of it though and it appears done right will be recoupable upon sale. Assuming he misses telephone poles. But still more out of pocket regardless.
3) It is more work.

I don't mind the extra work, both of us would learn more about wrenching from the upgrade. Assuming it starts when we're done. I'm leaning towards an OK with reservations/conditions.

Any thoughts?

Pete
Is the suspension and drive train designed to handle the extra horsepower and torque. If not it might be unsafe. You could throw a drive shaft or sumptin.....

Last edited by MrPots; 01-07-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Quandary time.

Pluses:

Minuses:

3) It is more work.

Any thoughts?

Pete
I'd take the cheapest and easiest route. And make him do most of the work...especially the more distasteful parts.

Hopefully your nephew will learn that this is nothing he wants to do again anytime soon. But having been an adolescent male once myself, I wouldn't count on it.

Of course, I look at an automobile as a tool. I buy what I need, use it until it's worn out, then sell it for what I can get and buy another.

Chas
Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I assure you I'll work him like a dog

I don't mind because I want him to learn. Mr Pots, that occurred to me and I'm researching that now. (Surprise! Checked email while writing this and apparently the diff might be a weak point.)

There is a third option here I didn't realize. We can install the turbo version of the engine in the car. Around 25% more expensive vs 2 or 3 times the cost for the newer engine, and MUCH easier. Plus a bump to 240 hp, not 315, which I feel more comfortable with.

I suspect this will be the way to go.

Pete
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Much better plan.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's all for naught.

Any swap would take time, mostly to find the bits, correct ECU etc, not the engine install.

Turns out he'd actually like the car finished this year, go figure. So we're doing a same engine replacement. It's too bad but whattya goindo?

Pete
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Decisions have been made, straight swap, even having it done. All I have to do is change bits on the engine before it goes to the mech, timing belt, clutch, retorque head, seals, tuneup etc.

I'm about to spend a great deal of someone else's money

Pete
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Spent! And rolling in. Starter, seals, gaskets, o2 sensor misc and battery cables in today, engine and oil pump tomorrow, silicone vac lines and clutch Thursday.

Heading over Sat to install new parts before handing it over to a mech for the swap.

Pete
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Engine here! Looks great.

Pete