Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Exactly Barney,

God's Laws cannot be relinquished for Silver or Gold.. And by the beliefs of the Catholics, everyone is under their interpolation of God's Laws.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Just what part of "PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF" don't you comprehend !

Bill
Catholics would still be free to not use contraception all they want. (Apparently most of them don't pay much attention to the commands of the pointy heads in Rome anyways.)

They also used to torture people. But governments in Europe eventually banned that, and we subequently do not tolerate it either. I suppose that is a prohibition of the "free exercize of religion" too.

Give up the argument Bill, you will lose.

IMO, all organized religion is bullshit and just another form of government anyhow.

"What ingenius mind it was that conceived of religion. In this way one controls the thoughts and actions of men---even in private."----Criteus.

It's a world full of stooges.

Dave
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
While this article doesn't answer your question, but creates more, I found it interesting on several points.

It's a comedy of errors, gives text book examples of government doublespeak and clueless bureaucrats, offers insight into not only the growth of government over the last 50 years, but the public's perception of such, and even demonstrates how much value the dollar has lost over the same time period.

http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/amishss.htm

By the way, I woke up at 3:00 AM, decided I may as well just get up, fixed a pot of coffee, finally put on my reading glasses on the second cup, and discovered it was 1:30 AM. Nothing like getting an early start on the day.

Chas
I couldn't escape the irony of reading the "Amish Country News" . . . on the Internet.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

This has to be interpreted differently now in 2012 then when it was written, and has been over the years. So it should be.
We are not under attack on the frontier by the Native Americans for stealing their land anymore. Or have European colonies on our borders either.

Barney

Yeah, just tear it all up now and be done with it. That's what's going to happen anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

It has nowt to do with religious convictions, it is just a bunch of tired old men trying to control women. To paraphrase MLK, I have a dream, that one day women in this nation will be equal before the law, but I do not expect it to happen in my lifetime.

Oh and regarding the drugstore owner who won't sell BC products, what if they are the only game in town?

An OpEd piece in the latest TIME by the editor of the National Review reveals much, it was titled Obama vs. the Church (emphasis mine). THE Church, well excuse me all to hell, I guess we Methodists, etc, do not exist!

When a religious group who allows its priests to molest children, and then tries to hide the whole deal, starts yowling about beliefs and morality, forgive me if I am not impressed.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-12-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It has nowt to do with religious convictions, it is just a bunch of tired old men trying to control women. To paraphrase MLK, I have a dream, that one day women in this nation will be equal before the law, but I do not expect it to happen in my lifetime.

Oh and regarding the drugstore owner who won't sell BC products, what if they are the only game in town?

An OpEd piece in the latest TIME by the editor of the National Review reveals much, it was titled Obama vs. the Church (emphasis mine). THE Church, well excuse me all to hell, I guess we Methodists, etc, do not exist!

When a religious group who allows its priests to molest children, and then tries to hide the whole deal, starts yowling about beliefs and morality, forgive me if I am not impressed.
A most excellent post, Rob. +1.

Dave
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I couldn't escape the irony of reading the "Amish Country News" . . . on the Internet.

Regards,

D-Ray
My brother has a buddy who runs a sawmill.....He's Amish. Outside the mill is a large generator and motor driving a long drive belt that runs inside. See, as long as he is not "on the grid", electricity is okay. So long as the electric motor is not inside the building, using electric power is fine.

I think it boils down to this;

So long as he is generating revenue for the collection plate, the Council of Elders will bend the "sacred" rules to accomodate him.............

Such BS.

Dave
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Exactly Barney,

God's Laws cannot be relinquished for Silver or Gold.. And by the beliefs of the Catholics, everyone is under their interpolation of God's Laws.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Just what part of "PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF" don't you comprehend !

Bill
No one is preventing religion from being exercised by allowing a woman to get free BC. The church pays for wars don't they with the taxes they do pay? They even have members of the clergy in the military serving right now. Plus a lot of believers serving who suspend the "do not kill" when needs be.

Plus their employees pay taxes for other things not totally in line with teachings now.

No one is forcing someone to take the BC or be sterilized to my knowledge. Free will and all that you know.

Barney
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Area Man

Quote:
No one is preventing religion from being exercised by allowing a woman to get free BC. The church pays for wars don't they with the taxes they do pay? They even have members of the clergy in the military serving right now. Plus a lot of believers serving who suspend the "do not kill" when needs be.

Plus their employees pay taxes for other things not totally in line with teachings now.

No one is forcing someone to take the BC or be sterilized to my knowledge. Free will and all that you know.

Barney
Oh, now, Barney. We can't go and expect the church to respect anybodys free will. How can they keep the flock in line with sheep that keep trying to grow a brain of their own?

Only Uncle Barack is supposed to respect your free will. The private sector can harrass, ripoff and abuse you all they want. It is their constitutional right to do so, and you're own fault for letting them do it, after all..............

Great post and excellent points all, BTW.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM

This church has a history of spending God's laws when need be for the church's benefits. I fail to see how preventing a pregnancy from happening is anything wrong. How getting a vasectomy or a tubal ligation and other BC measures can be against God's teachings.

If God had wanted humans only to have sex for procreation would not a women to mans loss only accept him when in season? Not going to touch the other aspects of sex being just plain fun and pleasurable for most.

After all this church has made an allowance for sins, it is by confession and then a penance followed by forgiveness.

Barney
Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Area Man

Quote:
This church has a history of spending God's laws when need be for the church's benefits. I fail to see how preventing a pregnancy from happening is anything wrong. How getting a vasectomy or a tubal ligation and other BC measures can be against God's teachings.

If God had wanted humans only to have sex for procreation would not a women to mans loss only accept him when in season? Not going to touch the other aspects of sex being just plain fun and pleasurable for most.

After all this church has made an allowance for sins, it is by confession and then a penance followed by forgiveness.

Barney
Right. If you want to reduce the abortion rate, promote condoms. What is the problem with that? If the pregnancy never happens in the first place, neither will the abortion.

I guess this is one of the manifold reasons why I'm not religious. I ask too many questions. The answer, "Because God told me to tell you so! So just shut up and get with the program!", doesn't work with me.

Dave