Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:29 AM
reflexionar

That's my take on it. I am kind of curious how much keeping this truck charged would cost the average homeowner without solar. Probably less than the comparable gas bill, but it would still be pretty expensive. I'm also curious if the inverter is built into the truck or if it is part of the charging station.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:01 AM

My estimate is about half the cost charging at home versus equivalent gasoline cost. Most charging stations, cost per kwh is almost triple depending on location. Without solar, EV's are not cost effective.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:14 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

A friend of mine commutes to downtown DC in an EV (a Chevy Volt). The parking place he leases includes a plug-in a no extra charge so he essentially pays nothing (besides standard parking rates) to "fuel" his vehicle.

My question about non-hybrid EV's is how you go about taking a long trip. If the range is 250 miles and you're gonna drive 600 miles in a day, is it reasonable to expect people to be willing to stop twice for hours to recharge their battery?
Old 05-23-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
A friend of mine commutes to downtown DC in an EV (a Chevy Volt). The parking place he leases includes a plug-in a no extra charge so he essentially pays nothing (besides standard parking rates) to "fuel" his vehicle.

My question about non-hybrid EV's is how you go about taking a long trip. If the range is 250 miles and you're gonna drive 600 miles in a day, is it reasonable to expect people to be willing to stop twice for hours to recharge their battery?
I can see people making 400-500 mile trips in a Tesla with a two hour pit stop combining food and fuel. Otherwise, long distance trips will take 50% to 70% more time and the range anxiety is very real. EV's are great for commuting, nothing more.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:03 PM

About halfway between Sacto and LaLa Land on I5, there's a pitstop with a Subway and a few other eateries. Always see Teslas refueling at the dozen or so Tesla recharge stations at the back of the parking lot. It's about a 385-mile one-way trip, so current Teslas can't make it without recharging.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:34 PM

With a full charge, my Model 3 uses up 85% on my trips to South Lake Tahoe, 185-205 miles. To conserve power, I need to be on cruise control and not exceed 70 mph and 60 mph in the mountains. On my return, I hardly use 50% of the charge.