Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

In my city, the public is myself and my neighbors. Not some nebulous thing justifying outside masters of the universe.

I'd like to hear how gun law reform will keep my neighbors from being armed to the teeth, at home.

Here's what that wiki link says regarding the neighborhood:

From January 1, 2011 through February 26, 2012, police were called to The Retreat at Twin Lakes 402 times.[72] During the 18 months preceding the February 26 shooting, Zimmerman called the non-emergency police line seven times. On five of those calls, Zimmerman reported suspicious looking men in the area, but never offered the men's race without first being asked by the dispatcher.[87][88][89] Crimes committed at The Retreat in the year prior to Martin's death included eight burglaries, nine thefts, and one shooting.[90] Twin Lakes residents said there were dozens of reports of attempted break-ins, which had created an atmosphere of fear in their neighborhood.[64]

In September 2011, the Twin Lakes residents held an organizational meeting to create a neighborhood watch program. Zimmerman was selected by neighbors as the program's coordinator, according to Wendy Dorival, Neighborhood Watch organizer for the Sanford Police Department.[6][6][91]

Three weeks prior to the shooting, on February 2, 2012, Zimmerman called police to report a young man peering into the windows of an empty Twin Lakes home. Zimmerman was told a police car was on the way and he waited for their arrival. By the time police arrived, the suspect had fled. On February 6, workers witnessed two young black men lingering in the yard of a Twin Lakes resident around the same time her home was burglarized. A new laptop and some gold jewelry were stolen. The next day police discovered the stolen laptop in the backpack of a young black man, which led to his arrest. Zimmerman identified this young man as the same person he had spotted peering into windows on February 2.[64]

Zimmerman had been licensed to carry a firearm since November 2009. In response to Zimmerman's multiple reports regarding a loose pit bull in the Twin Lakes neighborhood, a Seminole County Animal Services officer advised Zimmerman to "get a gun", according to a friend, rather than rely on pepper spray to fend off the pit bull, which on one occasion had cornered his wife.[64] Although neighborhood watch volunteers are not encouraged to carry weapons, Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee acknowledged that Zimmerman had a legal right to carry his firearm on the night of the shooting.[72]

.-.-.-.

Boy do we disagree Zeke

Pete
Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Don't have the right to look out for other neighbors? Hmm?? I'm missing something because here it is still legal to make a citizen's arrest. Many people have somehow forgot that.
not for long im afraid. the nanny state wants you in your home in fear. of course we can police our own neighborhoods. in fact every member of society has a duty to do so. its called looking out for each other.

to do anything less than this is cowardice.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Pete, after reading the crimes listed for the last YEAR in that community, I am more than ever convinced that Zimmerman was an over zealous cop wanna be.
For heavens sake, we have a higher number of all of those said crimes in my workplace and the surrounding two blocks in one WEEK!!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Don't have the right to look out for other neighbors? Hmm?? I'm missing something because here it is still legal to make a citizen's arrest. Many people have somehow forgot that.
This post highlights the problem with this case.

People are confusing what happened with their idea of, "it's us against them." Then, for some ungodly reason they identify with ZIM!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I find it interesting that I 'identify with Zim'?

Not only do I NOT carry a gun, I would've called Trevon out. Perhaps got my head kicked in till a neighbor shot him. Of course we don't have walkways behind our houses, and we haven't had a spate of breakins, so it's very different.

Business districts around here are generally higher crime hotspots, perhaps because the bad guys don't think there's an irate person inside with a gun

From what I can find online that development (Twin Lakes) only has 264 units.

Pete
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
not for long im afraid. the nanny state wants you in your home in fear. of course we can police our own neighborhoods. in fact every member of society has a duty to do so. its called looking out for each other.

to do anything less than this is cowardice.
You have this backwards. The "nanny state" whats you to stop being so fear filled.

Leave your gun at home, nothing to be scared of.

Had Zippy left his gun at home were would not have lost a child.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I find it interesting that I 'identify with Zim'?

Not only do I NOT carry a gun, I would've called Trevon out. Perhaps got my head kicked in till a neighbor shot him. Of course we don't have walkways behind our houses, and we haven't had a spate of breakins, so it's very different.

Business districts around here are generally higher crime hotspots, perhaps because the bad guys don't think there's an irate person inside with a gun

From what I can find online that development (Twin Lakes) only has 264 units.

Pete
You are being a little too literal when I say that many on the right identify with Zim. He is a stooge with no self esteem. I would never accuse you or anyone here of that.

What I mean is that in the broader sense you see yourself as the established community. Weary of "outsiders."
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Three weeks prior to the shooting, on February 2, 2012, Zimmerman called police to report a young man peering into the windows of an empty Twin Lakes home. Zimmerman was told a police car was on the way and he waited for their arrival. By the time police arrived, the suspect had fled.

Pete
Suspect had fled???????

Seriously?

Maybe the gentleman had moved on?

Good grief, what a slant!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If by outsiders you mean criminals, I'm not weary of them were I live. Apparently for the most part they are smart enough to stay away.

Pete
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I will NEVER accept that I am not allowed to 'police' my neighborhood. Back when I lived in the hood I regularly got up at night and scoped things out. Most suburbanites don't know the time down there.

And this is precisely why Zimmerman wasn't charged in the first place. Like it or hate it, the law there is the law. Shall we demand 'Justice' by twisting the law to fit our current mood? It makes it meaningless.

If (when?) zimzim is acquitted should we accept rioting?

Btw Barbara good on you for sticking around

ROTFLMAO!! Cheers.

Pete
Zim was not charged in the first place because he was "schooled" in what to say and he had killed the only witness who could dispute it.

He was set free because he was white and the kid was black with a hoodie.

Will you deny that had a white kid been killed by a black man that he too would have walked?