Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Does this guy write for Sarah Palin? Geez, he has anger management issues. He does a hack job as far as misrepresenting the grievances the people have.

The request for laundry was pretty stupid. I do think the current college generation has had less experience doing laundry than most. They need to get the concept that buying into a protest like this means buying into the consequences as well.

Regards,

D-Ray

I believe what he was really trying to get across was his feelings about young people and entitlement issues. Not saying I agree with his concept...but as with any writer...they need to sell papers to keep their jobs. Lets hope cool heads prevail. Although IMO its only a matter of time until someone makes the headlines.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Perhaps this will change as the Occupy Movement becomes usurped by unions and politicians.
Like it did when the GOP co-opted the Tea Party?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I believe what he was really trying to get across was his feelings about young people and entitlement issues. Not saying I agree with his concept...but as with any writer...they need to sell papers to keep their jobs. Lets hope cool heads prevail. Although IMO its only a matter of time until someone makes the headlines.
Part of the point here is that they ought make headlines because bright lights need to stay focused on the things these kids are protesting. I want them to make headlines because more and more people are opening up their windows and shouting "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it any more."

People should be mad about executives enhancing their stock options by shipping jobs out, mad that these folks with golden parachutes begrudge laid off workers getting unemployment benefits; mad that insurance companies raise their rates because they have monopoly power and folks have nowhere else to look; mad because the banks charge them fees to let the banks use their money; mad because the banks get money from the Fed for free and charge exorbitant rates on credit cards; mad because the corporations have profited handsomely while folks are out of work, or are seeing their real wages drop, and yes mad because the obscene cost of a college education is putting a rock on anything the grads hope to earn in the future.

I will be one proud papa to see my offspring carrying a sign that tells The Man that we are tired of being put in our place. They tell me that they are proud that their Pops puts it to The Man any chance he gets. This is their time to claim their future (instead of having a bunch of yahoos with tea bags hanging from their hats say that they are protecting the kids).

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 10-05-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 PM

I need to get an amp back on them d-ray. Took it out to go camping, and it's a chore to get i in the rack, but yeah, I bet those would sound great.. a couple songs I kinda forgot about and need to revisit..

Some of the organizers on the committees are already planning on how to keep the politicians from taking over, but I bet if they can control the unions, things will be OK. If the protesters get tired of the unions, they won't show up and listen.

I think a lot of people are missing what's really happening here... People are tired of everything, and everyone has been effected differently because of the system run amuck. Hence everyone has different grievances, and they want a top down change. People are asking for the Fed to go away. People want lobbying to go away. People want politicians that want to help the people, and not shit on them...

There are a lot of everyday "hippy" people that have taken the reigns on this, and I think could become true leaders. They are the "hippies" that are working to help fix tings the only way they know.. Roll up your sleeves and revolt. Voting hasn't worked, "Let's do this our way now!"

This has blown away anything the Tea Party had going on. They didn't start organizing, planning, and doing their own reporting. They waited for the media t get the word out, and the GOP gained control. The people learned from the Tea Party Movement, and are already trying to keep history from repeating.

I could be way off on what I think I am seeing, but this uprising is a LOT different than any thing we've seen. The government, banks, and media has been staying really quiet about it, and the Movement is doing their own reporting and advertising. Social Media gave the people a LOUD voice, and over the last decade they have learned to use it, and now they are flaunting it. Watching a lot of these live feeds and chats has blown me away what they've managed to put together in the middle of a park running on generators. They got technical skills and are using them..

I've always thought that somewhere in my lifetime I'd see some world changing history happen... I may be wrong, and this may not be it, but as fast as this has spread in the last week, along with all the same similar things happening around the world, I'm kinda worried, but I'm also happy to see it happening... then again, I may be standing there for a while waiting to see if the fuse really is lit or not... then it goes BANG when I pick it up... Time will tell how serious or not people are...

I'll be at www.October2011.org tomorrow after work in Freedom Plaza...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 PM

LOL.. That's funny.. I forgot about the tea bags the "preps" were wearing.

I saw something on NBC news that really pissed me off. In the windows of one of the bank buildings, or a fed building, or the exchange (I missed what they said but it was along those lines) Someone had put up a sign that said "We Are The 1%".... and THAT arrogance and drain the poor attitude is a lot of what started all this..

Hopefully enough other of us comon people saw that, and it helped fire up some more and will get them involved.. I love seeing a media giant help fire up the people! :yes:
Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
By the way, the comparison with the way they dressed in the '60's protest marches and today is complete and utter bullshit. People wore suits to baseball games in those days - long gone days. Besides, when you're challenging the conduct of the suits on wall street, why would you want to wear a suit yourself?

Regards,

D-Ray
I was looking at the determination in the faces of the Civil Rights protesters. The Occupiers lack a decorum that would allow a lot of people to view them as serious. The wild actions and lack of control only enhances their image as mere discontents and undermines their cause. You can see the same behavior at sporting event rallies or the riotous behavior after a home team captures a championship. My point is that it is not the most effective way to win friends and influence people. Why? Because you are going to alienate people to your cause. Civil disobedience is effective only when it is civil. Ghandi's Indian independence movement epitomized this controlled coherent behavior for the most part. I find that absent in the Occupy Wall Street group. We shall see as this plays out in the coming weeks. Being simply mad and demonstrating it is not sufficient to effect change.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post

This has blown away anything the Tea Party had going on. They didn't start organizing, planning, and doing their own reporting. They waited for the media t get the word out, and the GOP gained control. The people learned from the Tea Party Movement, and are already trying to keep history from repeating.

Delusional.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Like it did when the GOP co-opted the Tea Party?
I never studied the Tea Party and its beginnings. The TPers were unique because it was a right wing protest. That behavior from the right is relatively rare, whereas the Occupiers are not unique relative to past left social angst IMHO.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM

No, delousional is when you keep doing the same things you have, and keep expecting a different outcome. This time keeping it without a leader, without a clear cut cause, they are allowing more people with different issues and ideas to get involved and gain a different kind of outcome.

The Tea Part wasn't made up with a lot of serious people. They were made up of people that waited for the leaders to come take over. This time they are avoiding having true leaders. Let me mass change the outcome and don't narrow the focus.

I had to walk past a few of the Tea Party protests in front of the Whitehouse to meet my wife after work. I stopped and listened to them every time. After I watched them interview Andrew Brietbart I knew I wanted nothing to do with anyone involved or with the movement.

Last edited by simi; 10-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post
No, delousional is when you keep doing the same thing you have, and keep expecting a different outcome. This time keeping it without a leader, without a clear cut cause, they are allowing more people with different issues and ideas to get involved and gain a different kind of outcome.

The Tea Part wasn't made up with a lot of serious people. They were made up of people that waited for the leaders to come take over. This times they are avoiding having true leaders. Let me mass change the outcome and don't narrow the focus.
"Straight Cash Homey."
Tell me more about the Tea Party. You should do stand up!