Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Typical conservative bait and switch after being caught in a bald-faced lie accusing a 10-year-old rape victim of lying and being compelled to leave Ohio for an abortion.
Typical lazy debate tactic of using the actions of a few - and certainly not my action - to try and demonize anyone they disagree with.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:56 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Unfortunately, now that Biden and the pro-choice crowd have elected to make this girl's case their cause celebre, her anonymity is now at risk. Some enterprising "journalist" is going to find out who she is. Maybe some pro-choice whack job will try to make a poster child out of her.
So, the negative consequences/reactions to a 10-year old being forced out of state for an abortion due to overly restrictive GOP-sponsored abortion laws is Biden's fault? That's a decidedly tough sell that will only work on MAGAMorons willing to buy into it (like you).

The 10-year-old Ohio girl who crossed state lines to receive an abortion in Indiana should have carried her pregnancy to term and would be required to do so under a model law written for state legislatures considering more restrictive abortion measures, according to the general counsel for the National Right to Life.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-ohio-00045843

This is the reason that conservatives are now trying to change the subject on this particular Ohio case. They're like the dog who finally caught the car.

Last edited by finnbow; 07-14-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
But...you leave out a pretty significant point. If our borders were more secure and we were intent on enforcing immigration law, this rape may never have happened. The perp was in the country illegally.

Preventing crimes, be it this case or any other, involves an honest look at all the facts surrounding the criminal act. In this case, a preventive measure would have been protecting US citizens from risks associated with having a porous border.
I call this Bullshit Whell and only works with the MAGA Morons who like idiots repeat the Frightwing talking points.

Why didn't the GOP Congress when they had the monopoly give any money to Trump for his wall? Remember, that was the big promise the Dotard made to get elected.

Also answer this, why did the AG of Ohio and the asshole Jim Jordan claim that the girl was lying? Wouldn't the AG of a state look into this first instead putting his foot in his mouth considering the resources at his disposal? And you blame President Biden for bringing this to light?

The fact the rapist is an illegal alien has no bearing on her rape and subsequent out of state visit for abortion.

Last edited by Rajoo; 07-14-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You've elevated the skills to changing the subject and making a strawman into unique art forms, Chicks. Bravo.
You must be mistaking me for your pals in Reich-wing "News".
Old 07-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
You must be mistaking me for your pals in Reich-wing "News".
Speaking of wingnut news,

When the Indianapolis Star published a story two weeks ago about a 10-year-old rape victim from Ohio who traveled to Indiana for an abortion, it was inevitable that it would get national attention. The story rocketed around social media, and President Biden cited it as evidence of harm done by the rush to restrict abortion in Republican states such as Ohio after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.

As it spread, the conservative media swung into action to tell their audiences something different: This story simply must be a lie, a fabrication, a hoax. You know how those liberals are.

In fact, the story is true. Police in Columbus have now arrested and charged a man with the crime.

This is a perfect case study of how conservative media operate and the function they serve for their audiences, sometimes filling their heads with nonsense and sometimes affixing blinders so that inconvenient facts can be denied.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...abortion-hoax/
Old 07-14-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I call this Bullshit Whell and only works with the MAGA Morons who like idiots repeat the Frightwing talking points.

Why didn't the GOP Congress when they had the monopoly give any money to Trump for his wall? Remember, that was the big promise the Dotard made to get elected.

Also answer this, why did the AG of Ohio and the asshole Jim Jordan claim that the girl was lying? Wouldn't the AG of a state look into this first instead putting his foot in his mouth considering the resources at his disposal? And you blame President Biden for bringing this to light?

The fact the rapist is an illegal alien has no bearing on her rape and subsequent out-of-state visit for abortion.
You can call it whatever you want. Doesn't negate the fact that we wouldn't even be talking about this case if the perp was blocked from illegally entering the country.

As far as I know, no elected officials have called the girl a liar. I had to look it up, but Jordan's text was: "Another lie. Anyone surprised?" I believe he was referring to the Columbus Dispatch and the story itself, not the girl.

Context matters here because the original Columbus Dispatch story really wasn't about the 10-year-old girl. The story opens with the girl's story, but then 90% + of the rest of the story is about how terrible it is that women have to make other plans and jump through hoops to get an abortion. But I certainly understand why some folks would frame this as "Jordan called a 10-year-old girl a liar".

As far as why the wall didn't get funded? Not hard to go back and look at what happened during that time. The Repubs had the majority in the Senate, but they didn't have a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Therefore, you'll see stories like this: https://apnews.com/article/4089515ec...2f3bb7062453f6

If memory serves, there were also lawsuits the Dems filed (making sure that they were filed with sympathetic judges) to block the wall.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:59 PM

The simple fact the issue paramount in the cult of BS is the perpetrators status. No compassion for the victim or even acknowledging the rape. Or results.
All about justifying in apparently closed narrow minds how unjustly their views are to only themselves.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
So, the negative consequences/reactions to a 10-year old being forced out of state for an abortion due to overly restrictive GOP-sponsored abortion laws is Biden's fault? That's a decidedly tough sell that will only work on MAGAMorons willing to buy into it (like you).
That's a rather novel interpretation/spin on what I wrote. I applaud your vivid imagination for coming up with that.

But since you asked, are you saying that the Columbus Dispatch story really isn't about the 10 year old girl, it's really about "overly restrictive GOP-sponsored abortion laws"? Well, good. At least we can agree on that.

And just so I'm complete here and respond to your "spin" of my comments since you're apparently unwilling to respond to the substance of my comments:

Its not Bidens fault that some states have what you characterize as "overly restrictive GOP-sponsored abortion laws". Nor is it Biden's fault that a 10 year old girl might have to go out of state to get an abortion.

Yes, it is Biden's fault, and the Columbus Dispatch's fault, that the plight of a 10-year-old girl and her family is being hijacked and used to advance a political narrative. Biden sure as hell didn't have to use his bully pulpit to bring this girl's sad story to the attention of the world, and then use it to highlight his displeasure with a recent SCOTUS decision. But he did.

I can only imagine the pain this girl's family is going through watching their 10-year-old daughter's horror story become a political football. I guess for Democrats, the right to privacy ends where political opportunism begins.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Here's another in-depth story of the Fox News dishonest, bad faith debacle covering this story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ews-criticism/
Old 07-14-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The simple fact the issue paramount in the cult of BS is the perpetrators status. No compassion for the victim or even acknowledging the rape. Or results.
All about justifying in apparently closed narrow minds how unjustly their views are to only themselves.
No, it's not paramount. However, it certainly is logical and correct to say that if the guy never got in the country in the first place, the likelihood of us publicly discussing this sad story would be much, much closer to zero. Why does that bother you so much?

I'd much rather we weren't talking about it at all. Also note that I'm not the one who brought this story up.