Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Nope. I think they should be shown their proper respect and not sensationalized by a single politician.
I believe it's important for our leaders to be seen as mindful of the costs involved in the decisions they make. Whether or not it was actually the case, Bush's invisibility at ceremonies honoring the fallen - in fact, the invisibility of the ceremonies themselves - made it seem that he didn't really care. That apparent lack of concern prompted many of us to suspect Bush of having a profoundly cynical attitude toward our military, their sacrifice and his own role as President.

Part of my time in the Army was spent as a member of the US Army Honor Guard. This was during some of the heaviest fighting (and losses) of the Vietnam War. As a result, I've spent quite a bit of time participating in ceremonies commemorating the sacrifices of those who have given their lives for our country. From my perspective, what President Obama did was wholly consistent with a deep respect for our military and their sacrifice as well as an awareness of and commitment to his role as Commander In Chief.

John
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I believe it's important for our leaders to be seen as mindful of the costs involved in the decisions they make. Whether or not it was actually the case, Bush's invisibility at ceremonies honoring the fallen - in fact, the invisibility of the ceremonies themselves - made it seem that he didn't really care. That apparent lack of concern prompted many of us to suspect Bush of having a profoundly cynical attitude toward our military, their sacrifice and his own role as President.

Part of my time in the Army was spent as a member of the US Army Honor Guard. This was during some of the heaviest fighting (and losses) of the Vietnam War. As a result, I've spent quite a bit of time participating in ceremonies commemorating the sacrifices of those who have given their lives for our country. From my perspective, what President Obama did was wholly consistent with a deep respect for our military and their sacrifice as well as an awareness of and commitment to his role as Commander In Chief.

John
THANK YOU!

Dave
Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 AM

I wish I knew what the original post was, then I could ramble on some more, but regarding the post prior to this, +! Thank you to all that have served.
My dad was 1st air cavalry vietnam, 1967-1969, he also served in Korea.

You may not like the war, you may not like thier boss, but you damn well better respect the man thay goes and does this dirty job for you.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

I just received a T shirt with 'Freedom is not free' printed on the front. I honestly do not believe that the brave young men and women over there have a damn thing to do with our freedom, but they have my respect and support. I wish I could say that they had the respect and support of the previous administration and of Congress (Thank you so much Senator Coburn, may you rot) but I cannot. The scandals about Walter Reed were in all the papers and I had first hand experience of that place when trying to offer support. I am just glad that they are cleaning it out.

You can contact the DAV in Washington DC.