Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's entertaining to watch the establishment politicos running around like their head's cut off.

Pete
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
While the government has allowed the universities over there to increase tuition to a max of £9000 (+- $13,000) a year, poor folks pay much less. So pretty well everyone has a shot at going to Oxford. The Brits seem to feel that a well educated populace is a good thing. Pinkos!

Again, having lived both the US and Canadian health care systems, I'll take the Canadian system anytime.

And the whole class thing ain't what it used to be over there. America isn't that special anymore. Well, paying much more for health care and education is unique.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
When it comes to personal income taxes, would you take the Canadian system? Main reason I (we) did not immigrate to Canada (Montreal) when I got a great job opportunity and the Canadian immigration had already been granted. I still in a way regret this as I really enjoyed living in Montreal.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
When it comes to personal income taxes, would you take the Canadian system? Main reason I (we) did not immigrate to Canada (Montreal) when I got a great job opportunity and the Canadian immigration had already been granted. I still in a way regret this as I really enjoyed living in Montreal.
Sure would! if you actually add up all levels and ways of taxation, the differences are not that huge. For that difference, I get a fantastic health care system, cheaper and more comprehensive education, more efficient government services, etc. As a bonus I get safer life, less crime , and I get to live 4 years longer. All works fine for me.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Chas, maybe you can help me understand a couple of things.

First, do you believe that predictions of severe financial repercussions as a result of the refusal to raise the debt limit are overstated?

How serious, if at all, would be the consequences of failing to increase the debt limit?

Explain this in simple terms, I'm not an economist.

But, if the consequences of missing the debt limit deadline are severe, is it in any way responsible governance to threaten such consequences simply to revisit a battle that has been lost again and again?

If you were in the shoes of the President, would you be willing to negotiate under these circumstances?

Regards,

D-Ray
You sly devil.

To start with, we have something in common, neither of us are economists. I deal in general theory, drawn from what I consider to be rational thought based on my personal empirical experiences.

In other words, I am only submitting my observations and conclusions based on my limited knowledge. I am not attempting to pass myself off as a false authority.

I'll leave that to those who know all of the answers.

Heading West.

I don't see that the United States has an alternative but to increase the debt limit. It's the rules of the game. The really smart guys say the should we default on our obligations, it will crash the market, raise interest rates, increase unemployment, possibly endanger the dollar as the reserve currency, etc, etc.

And as much as I despise the really smart guys, who I figure had more than a little to do with bringing to this point, I suspect that they are correct.

Switching gears.

Look at just how much goods and services you could buy with one Yankee dollar in 1913 as opposed to 2013. My point is, our currency, which is the means of trading the sweat of our brow, is being devalued.

Now that's too kewl for skool it you're in debt, you're paying back the sweat of someone's brow with devalued currency. Now if you're some dumb bastard such as myself, who is trying to save, and invest...they're stealing your undershorts.

It's currency manipulation, and dumb fucks such as ourselves may get lucky and win a time or two...but it's still like going to Vegas. The house sets the odds, and you will lose in the long run.

In conclusion.

It's the only game in town, and you have no choice but to play. With the guys who are controlling the magnets under the roulette wheel.

But since it's the only game in town, shouldn't we be trying to increase our odds by attempting to control the excessive waste of the Federal Government, and even applying a sort of means testing to the regulations that they, excuse my French, pretty much pull out of their asses to support their chosen agenda?

My disclaimer.

The world is overpopulated, and we're entering the robot age. Even I will admit that the age of fossil fuels will end...like it or not.

And if I were one of our masters, I would give a certain amount of credence as to the only salvation of mankind is to kill app 75% of the population.

BTW, if I were Obama, I wouldn't fold to the Pubbies, unless the winds of public opinion changes...and he's holding all of the cards at the moment.

The dumb shits have put themselves in a no win situation almost as bad as he put himself in over Syria.

I'm outta gas.

Chas
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Have you ever been outside of the United States in your life?
I have
this place kicks the shit out of the third world.
Yes.

And I had to pay for it out of my hip pocket.

BTW, just how stupid to you suspect me to be?

Chas
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Area Man

I'm just a grouchy, opinionated curmudgeon.

I miss the sea.

'Cuz the deep blue can take your breath with her beauty, or she can take it with her fury.

Either way, she just does what she wants and your just along for the ride.

And, what a ride it is!

Dave
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm just a grouchy, opinionated curmudgeon.

I miss the sea.

'Cuz the deep blue can take your breath with her beauty, or she can take it with her fury.

Either way, she just does what she wants and your just along for the ride.

And, what a ride it is!

Dave
Never experienced big water.

But I've always wanted to.

And the damned wife doesn't what to hear any of my notions about selling the house and buying a 60' sloop.

Perhaps I should quit telling her that there is no more honorable death than to go down in a hurricane lashed to the wheel.

Damned wimmen, they don't what fun is. Gotta die anyway...fuck doing it with shit in your diaper in an old folks home!!!

Chas
Old 10-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Admin

I wouldn't mind being shot by a jealous husband while I'm trying to climb out the bedroom window, when I'm about 80 (preferably).
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Sure would! if you actually add up all levels and ways of taxation, the differences are not that huge. For that difference, I get a fantastic health care system, cheaper and more comprehensive education, more efficient government services, etc. As a bonus I get safer life, less crime , and I get to live 4 years longer. All works fine for me.

I'd consider it, except the bastards make everyone show an ID to vote.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 10-04-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'd consider it, except the bastards make everyone show an ID to vote.
They're trying to keep American rightwing whackos from sneaking in and voting. Call it Canadian National Defense. They don't want to end up as fucked up as we are.