Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Area Man

We are NEVER wrong............................!

For sometime now there have been people upset because they see our President as being an "apologist". The same ilk were the ones who were whining when Clinton "apologized" for slavery.

Now, to be honest, I am not familiar with every incident in which the Prez alledgedly apologized for this that or the other thing. I'm just curious about the mentality of people who think our leaders should "never apologize for anything", and then get offended when foriegners accuse us of being arrogant. After all, isn't refusing to acknowledge responsibility for a given tragedy the very essence of arrogance?

I know it's hard. In my personal life, I've had to face people and admit I've done them wrong. It really sucks, but I was raised that; "It takes more of a man to admit he was wrong." And I have found that it's true. People will respect you more if you acknowledge your mistakes.

Here's what I think;

A). Pride. Admitting fault is admitting to being imperfect.
Telling the world that some idea or ideology that you, or your predessors
may have been wrong, puts a dent in your self-esteem and is therefore to
avoided at all costs.

B). "If God is with us, then who dare be against us?"
Admitting that slavery, the forced relocation of Native Americans,
"Jim Crow", sweatshops, child labor, lynchings, etc, etc, really happened
after shouting all day that your society "was built on Christian
Principles" makes you look like the ass that even you, deep down
inside , know you really are. So, you try to hide behind the
cross.Then you commence to white-washing the past in a
pathetic attempt to exonerate yourself and your ancestors.

(Clue-----Everyone knows, including Jesus, so just stop it already.)

C). "It weakens America"
How so? I'll just sit back and let you explain that one. 'Cuz this
assertion makes no sense at all to me.

Dave
Old 01-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Admitting your wrong and doing something about it is two different things.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

It is just part of the national psyche, for example the schools teach us how noble a thing was the Boston Tea Party - hogwash. The colonists were intent on stealing the Indians lands and the Indians fought back. So Mother England was asked for troops to fight the Indians. Now King George had enough problems at home so he was not about to ask the people in England to foot the bill for all those troops and the East India Company was having financial problems so to solve both he put a tax on tea. The fact that General Cornwallis was an incompetent blunderer aside, who else should have picked up the tab?

It was sort of like a time in a bar in California years before I came down here. Got into conversation with a nice lady - her husband was busy chasing young chicks. When he stopped by to get another drink she said "George I want you to meet this gentleman from Canada". He looked at me and said "Humpf, you Canadians are screwing us with your oil prices". I looked back at him and said "We figured it should not be like the iron ore business, where you got the ore and we got the shaft."

We need to realize that other folks do not really hate us, but the practices of some of our companies sure did not win many friends.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Admitting your wrong and doing something about it is two different things.
True, if you admit to being wrong about something and then continue to do it anyways, you go from being an ass to being a colossal ass.......

Dave
Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 PM

The thing about Hoosain Jug Ears is that WHAT did he need to apologise to the Saudis for ? For us having the temerity for paying their usurous prices for oil, when we've pulled their bacon outta the fire, especially over Saddam ? Don't think for one minute Saddam would have stopped w/Kuwait, he was after The Big Enchilada-Saudi Arabia. Everything else, in my estimation about the Gulf War, has been nothing but eyewash. And virtually everybody has missed it-Which is what, I think, The Powers That Be wanted.... I also think The Halfrican looked a little too much like Stepin Fetchit when he bowed to Abdul Abulbul Amir Al-Bundy Saud...or WTFever his name is...
Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The thing about Hoosain Jug Ears is that WHAT did he need to apologise to the Saudis for ?
When did President Obama do that?

John
Old 01-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

The Kuwaities were slant drilling into Iraq's oil basin so they were not exactly sweet innocents.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The Kuwaities were slant drilling into Iraq's oil basin so they were not exactly sweet innocents.
Bingo! And our Ambassador to Iraq, April Glaspie, gave Saddam the go-ahead to invade. Right before the invasion she told Saddam, "We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts, such as your dispute with Kuwait. Secretary Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction, first given to Iraq in the 1960s, that the Kuwait issue is not associated with America."

And that poor little teenage Kuwaiti girl who tearfully told Congress of seeing the Iraqis dumping babies out of incubators so they could be used in Iraqi hospitals? Nothing but lies. She was the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the US and hadn't even been in Kuwait at the time.

John
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The thing about Hoosain Jug Ears is that WHAT did he need to apologise to the Saudis for ? For us having the temerity for paying their usurous prices for oil, when we've pulled their bacon outta the fire, especially over Saddam ? Don't think for one minute Saddam would have stopped w/Kuwait, he was after The Big Enchilada-Saudi Arabia. Everything else, in my estimation about the Gulf War, has been nothing but eyewash. And virtually everybody has missed it-Which is what, I think, The Powers That Be wanted.... I also think The Halfrican looked a little too much like Stepin Fetchit when he bowed to Abdul Abulbul Amir Al-Bundy Saud...or WTFever his name is...
Now Sandy, play nice in the sandbox.

Calling the Bolshevik in Chief "Hoosan Jug Ears" isn't very polite. Besides, I'm sure you realize that the left would have never used such an insult when addressing the Chimpster.

Chas
Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Uhh, you mean stuff like "Chimpy McHaliburton Bushitler" ?!? And, last time I checked "Hussein" in the Community-Organiser-In-Chief's middle name..."Jug-Ears" is a reasonably apt description, I think its somewhat more respectable than "Alfred E. Neumann-Head", whom Barry also resembles...(grin)