We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Abby Normal

[QUOTE=Combwork;13504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Quote=combwork
If you saw him hurting her again would you haul him off her and when he used foul language and promised to 'get her when your back was turned', maybe lose your temper and hit him?
Quote =noonereal
I sure as hell would.
Quote=combwork
What you say makes sense except for the above; goes in direct contradiction to your original post "God would not be able to help you if you raised a hand to my kids"

The point is noonereal, in some circumstances it's not what you do, it's what people think you would do. The boys parents had to believe I would push a lot harder if I had to. It was a risky strategy; the man was a builder and if push had come to shove, chances are it would have been me who was bounced up and down the playground but like I said, having tried everything else I'd kind of run out of options. I couldn't just ignore it
It absolutely does not. Protecting a child against a violent crime is in no way the same as using violence to discipline a child.
Just because the bully is a minor it does not make it legal for him to assault someone.
I don't understand how you can't see the distinction.
As I said earlier I am not a blow hard and dislike blow hards. I try to be very measured in what I do so as never to appear as such. In this case it would not have been a strategy of mine, it would have been resolve.

We had an incident up this way recently where a girl hit another girl during after a soccer match instead of shaking her hand after the match. It made national news. This was a criminal act. Just because kids go to the same school or compete with another school does not lessen an assault. An assault is an assault and requires a different set of responses than does a mischievous or disorderly youthful event.
Seems the excuse offered in court was that the girl who stuck out struck out because she lost was always hit by her parents so it is understandable that she also became a monster.
When you hit kids you teach them to hit.
It is that simple.
This has nothing to do with protecting oneself from violence.

Last edited by noonereal; 01-04-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Area Man

If you want to discuss corporal punishment vs child abuse, start another thread. PLEASE.

(And this comes from a kid who was once whipped with an extension cord for refusing to go to church.)

Dave
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If you want to discuss corporal punishment vs child abuse, start another thread. PLEASE.

(And this comes from a kid who was once whipped with an extension cord for refusing to go to church.)

Dave
Well if you say so Dave.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well if you say so Dave.
Absolutely (hangs head in shame) but it's an interesting thing that although face to face political debates start at a common point, chances are in half an hour the original question will be long forgotten...........
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Abby Normal

you would be hard pressed to find a thread that does not veer off but Dave is dutiful to trying to keep them on target.
There is a thread (a very interesting thread) on corporal punishment somewhere here. I looked to revive it but I did not find it.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The thing about Hoosain Jug Ears is that WHAT did he need to apologise to the Saudis for ? For us having the temerity for paying their usurous prices for oil, when we've pulled their bacon outta the fire, especially over Saddam ? Don't think for one minute Saddam would have stopped w/Kuwait, he was after The Big Enchilada-Saudi Arabia. Everything else, in my estimation about the Gulf War, has been nothing but eyewash. And virtually everybody has missed it-Which is what, I think, The Powers That Be wanted.... I also think The Halfrican looked a little too much like Stepin Fetchit when he bowed to Abdul Abulbul Amir Al-Bundy Saud...or WTFever his name is...
Ever notice there was very little 'official' condemnation from Saddams immediate neighbors. He was a regional threat.

And folks forget about root causes. At first Osama never mentioned say the Palestinians, but he did talk about foreign troops in the holy land (US soldiers in Saudi Arabia).

Obama is bending over forward to foriegn officals because he's bending over backward to his base

I can't talk about spanking my friends sons girlfriends' kid? Darn.

Pete
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

I can't talk about spanking my friends sons girlfriends' kid?
The mom though tht was cool?

But no we cannot address it.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:

But no we cannot address it.
Damn.

Pete
Old 01-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Damn.

Pete
lol ,
Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 PM

I just kinda miss the days when we Americans ALL considered the USA the best place to live in the whole world, & a US president didn't feel the need to apologise to ANY gawdam body about ANY gawdam thing...Now, we've got a bunch of smart-ass sophomores trying to run the show...