Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I just kinda miss the days when we Americans ALL considered the USA the best place to live in the whole world, & a US president didn't feel the need to apologise to ANY gawdam body about ANY gawdam thing...Now, we've got a bunch of smart-ass sophomores trying to run the show...
Point taken but I doubt there was ever a time when everyone here thought the US was the best place on earth. Folks just ain't built that way. As for apologizing, apart from the fact that Obama hasn't actually done that yet, no country is ever perfect and it's only grown up to admit your mistakes and wise to acknowledge the importance of international goodwill.

John
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Resident octogenarian

Try living in a different country that has American Corporations operating within its borders, you might change your mind about apologies.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM

More on apologies:

The only time recently that I can recall an American president actually apologizing for something it was when Clinton apologized for not intervening in the Rwandan genocide. That apology was entirely justified, IMO.

John
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Go read the rant on the US Navy on "Grouchy Old Cripple in Atlanta"...That's where I cribbed that last one.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I just kinda miss the days when we Americans ALL considered the USA the best place to live in the whole world, & a US president didn't feel the need to apologise to ANY gawdam body about ANY gawdam thing...Now, we've got a bunch of smart-ass sophomores trying to run the show...
Loving your nation-state is wrong and leads to the exploitation of the proletariat by the capitalists, Sandy. Get with the program!

Pick up a modern high school American history textbook, you can see everything we did wrong, and that everything we did was/is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Try living in a different country that has American Corporations operating within its borders, you might change your mind about apologies.
I noticed that in England, apparently we're somewhat feared business-wise

Pete
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Feared? I think the word you were looking for is loathed.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Maybe at one time with the likes of FORD and VAUXHALL employing British workers but owned by their parent companies in the U.S.A. but now with British engineering largely a thing of the past, our main income seems to have been international banking. I suspect the Bejing and Tokyo stock markets are seen as more of a threat than Wall Street. "Seems to have been" is what interests me. With EFT nothing was actually manufactured, not even paper. It was nothing more than pyramid selling, and now it's fallen over.

Are the rats leaving the sinking ship in the USA? Our bankers having grabbed their obscene bonusus have largly hightailed it out of the U.K.

Last edited by Combwork; 01-06-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Are the rats leaving the sinking ship in the USA? Our bankers having grabbed their obscene bonusus have largly hightailed it out of the U.K.
Yeah some of the bunkers (oops bankers) in the propped up companies are skipping out because the poor dears are not getting those obscene bonuses.

Great article in the Post OpEd page by a clergyman. He said if they are to big to fail then make them smaller. He took all the parish accounts, and his own account, out of Bank of America and encouraged his parishoners to do the same. He now does all his banking with a small local bank.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
He said if they are to big to fail then make them smaller.
Excellent!

Pete
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Oh, yeah, I got pumped full of "The Party Line" when I was in grade skule, hiskule, 'n' college...American capitalists were ALL Evil, ipso facto, the South was full of Evil white slaveowners who beat their poor slaves every nite at 7 on the dot, Roosevelt was The Great White Father on High, who rescued a starving nation from rack 'n' ruin, & then courageously single-handedly beat the dirty Boesch & Yellow Peril hisself, blah, blah, blah....Oh, yeah, & no real progress was made at all in this country until we gave Women the right to vote....An' if it wasn't for Our Gov't so magnamaniously telling us what to do, & modestly only accepting a mere pittance of 33% for guiding us, we would all be wandering around, looking for Flat Rocks to jack off onto....