Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I guess the Soviet empire left behind old Russian tubes for the 50 or so of us who buy them for old tube amp proejcts..not a total loss
The way I heard it, the Sovs used tubes in all their critical electronics because the electro-magnetic pulse from a nuclear detonation fries solid state gear. I think they also made some pretty righteous hi-fi tube amps and preamps, solid state too, a lot of them built for sort of a black market by military and defense technicians.

Oh, cool! Here's an AK thread.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=432394

KHOROSHO!

John

Last edited by Boreas; 10-08-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM

One early point to clarify....

China is not the biggest trading partner of the US. CANADA is. By about 20%, last time I checked.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 AM

This is the one area that always drives me nuts. The Republicans jump up and down about lending money to GM, and actually owning shares of it temporarily, while making the ultimate form of corporate welfare by keeping the Military Industrial complex rolling along.

The one funny thing is that the US military industrial complex has not provided, for the huge sums of money it has taken, is the best weapons. Other countries have done just as well, for MUCH less money, than the US has. Crap, it took the US more than two decades to build a fighter that was better than the Canadian CF-105 Arrow. Thank God Ike's boys strong-armed the Canadian government into pulling it out of production before the true colour of the emperors new clothes could be seen.

So it seems the Republicans are totally willing to support industry with government (public) money, support a ton of workers, give lots of benefits and medical care, etc. if it is for the "right" cause.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Military cutbacks (not necessarily money cuts) are not a zero sum game. The left likes to pretend that the world economic system runs itself.

Pete
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Military cutbacks (not necessarily money cuts) are not a zero sum game. The left likes to pretend that the world economic system runs itself.

Pete
Pete, that is complete horse shit. You've actually described the Objectivist/Libertarian view. The Left is much more inclined toward the opposite, cooperative organizations like G8.

John
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Without teeth those organisations might as well be the UN, or maybe the EU

Pete
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Pete
The extent to which they don't have teeth is the result of conservative and neo-liberal factions in the member states resisting enforcement provisions of the various agreements. Again, Pete, it's the Right that seeks to do away with regulated trade and economies. Why not just admit that you're mistaken and move on.

John
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Look carefully at who expouses withdrawal. Although it's been my experience that it's one thing the far right and far left agree upon.

Pete
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM

We didn't spend on the military up here because the US effectively made Canada a protectorate.

The US deprived of us of our own military industry, so instead of being strong and independent and protecting the northern flank of the US, and keeping the North Atlantic open, we got strong armed by the US and effectively said screw it, let the Yanks do it.

There was a point when Canada had the third largest navy in the world, complete with aircraft carriers, as well as the most high tech aviation industry in the world.

We were happy to do, and pay, our part. But America wanted it all its way, so you guys can bankrupt yourself paying for it now.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
If they had teeth, then the right would be screaming about them threatening our sovereignty.....................Oh, wait...............yeah, we're already there.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.