Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Rational anarchy?

Care to expand.
Professor Bernardo de la Paz.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Ready

OK, lots to discuss tonight.

To begin, I haven't made a deep or sincere study of the seven habits. Once years ago I took an abbreviated class therein. I formed the opinion that the seven habits could be summed-up as 1) figure out what you are supposed to be doing, and then 2) work very hard at it. Rules for strivers, in other words, probably incorporating some handy tips for striving better, but not of much use if one isn't of the striver cast of mind in the first place.

I'm sure many people for whom the 7 habits have proven useful and even important would reject my view as cynical and even asinine. They may even be right.

Anarchy is hard to discuss because the term itself can mean so many differernt things.

There is much more different than alike about the two sides of the river in the pic. The big difference is JURISDICTION. You see divides were the jurisdiction line creates big disparities elsewhere, as between New York City and New jersy, or Chicago and Indiana. In those cases, the jurisdiction proved more amenable to industrial development on the side seperated from the big metropolis.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
OK, lots to discuss tonight.

To begin, I haven't made a deep or sincere study of the seven habits. Once years ago I took an abbreviated class therein. I formed the opinion that the seven habits could be summed-up as 1) figure out what you are supposed to be doing, and then 2) work very hard at it. Rules for strivers, in other words, probably incorporating some handy tips for striving better, but not of much use if one isn't of the striver cast of mind in the first place.

I'm sure many people for whom the 7 habits have proven useful and even important would reject my view as cynical and even asinine. They may even be right.

Anarchy is hard to discuss because the term itself can mean so many differernt things.

There is much more different than alike about the two sides of the river in the pic. The big difference is JURISDICTION. You see divides were the jurisdiction line creates big disparities elsewhere, as between New York City and New jersy, or Chicago and Indiana. In those cases, the jurisdiction proved more amenable to industrial development on the side seperated from the big metropolis.
I feel your pain. I did not hear of the 7 Habits book until it became popular culture. That was during the 1990s. Productive workers in the corporate realm became increasingly surrounded by "policemen" that carried day planners with abbreviated notations. As a software writer I hated those day planner carriers. IMO all they did was mindlessly push me to make more.

It took me about ten years to calm down and finally read the 7 Habits book. When I did it struck me as a well thought out piece of work. Unfortunately it appeared to me that the day-planner carriers and marketers only took away the mechanistic and profitable instructions from the book. Mr. Covey put a lot of his heart in that book, too, and those heartfelt parts seem to have been left on the shelf.

With regard to anarchy, it is a word that seems to represent the center of the onion in political speech. It's definition is hard to nail down but the word seems to represent an emotional aspect that all of us share - we want control of our little space on the dance floor.

My introduction to the word anarchy came via the book "The Anarchist Cookbook". I found it in a bargain bin and bought it because it had survivalist content that my Boy Scout side thought might be useful at some point. The book has a lot of other dark stuff in in, but on average I thought it was worth a buck or whatever I paid for it. Within a few years I learned that the book was a trophy and someone stole it. That was around 1985.

Now thirty-plus years after that theft I am beginning to understand hunger for information. At the same time my mind spins with how to protect from making mistakes with information that moves too freely or is too freely available. In the automotive engineering world it is common to write software that pushes against information that the sensors provide. To "rage against the machine" if you will. The purpose of that software is to provide a soft landing at a predictable condition in the event that the sensors stop making sense. That slight informational pushback might be considered rational anarchy in academic circles.

At the end of the day I find it more constructive to think about sharing a dance floor.

Peace!