Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
That I am fully aware of.
A preposition is a bad word to end a sentence with.

John
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

And all that was 29 years ago, I'm a bit heavier and my hair has turned from gray to pink. Afteer spending the night of the blizzard in the hotel lobby we shook hands and agreed to be pen pals. Guess I cane be a persuasive writer as I convinced her from 500 miles away to marry me. There were a few phone calls as well but two hour phone calls tend to be pricey.

Now the Feb east coast blizzard of '83 was the perffect storm as far as we are concerned.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And all that was 29 years ago, I'm a bit heavier and my hair has turned from gray to pink. Afteer spending the night of the blizzard in the hotel lobby we shook hands and agreed to be pen pals. Guess I cane be a persuasive writer as I convinced her from 500 miles away to marry me. There were a few phone calls as well but two hour phone calls tend to be pricey.

Now the Feb east coast blizzard of '83 was the perffect storm as far as we are concerned.
Thats awesome Rob!

Pete
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Admin

http://www.weather.gov/satellite Go to this link and you can loop the image.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

http://www.weather.gov/satellite Go to this link and you can loop the image.
Oh, shit!

John
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It's cloudy and calm here now. That's destined to change.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Admin

Just in case any of the dumbass, luddite, anti science crowd is watching....A freakin' hurricane just gangraped a nor'easter at the end of October! Naw, global warming is just an unproven theory made up by a bunch of hippie potheads.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Just in case any of the dumbass, luddite, anti science crowd is watching....A freakin' hurricane just gangraped a nor'easter at the end of October! Naw, global warming is just an unproven theory made up by a bunch of hippie potheads.

Naw, global warming is just an unproven theory made up by a bunch of hippie potheads.:

There's something that bothers me. Descriptions and warnings are always "Could be the worst since.................". If it was potentially worst ever recorded this would be in line with predicted climate change but "worst since" supports a more or less straight line; in the long term 'no better, no worse'.

The worst recorded storm in Scotland was in the 19th century. It did a hell of a lot of structural damage including bringing down the Tay bridge on December 28th 1879 while a train was trying to cross it. Does this fit in with any climate change models or was it a large blip on an otherwise straight line.

This was before the industrial revolution was fully under way. Nothing like the build up of man made pollution then compared to now.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post

Naw, global warming is just an unproven theory made up by a bunch of hippie potheads.:

There's something that bothers me. Descriptions and warnings are always "Could be the worst since.................". If it was potentially worst ever recorded this would be in line with predicted climate change but "worst since" supports a more or less straight line; in the long term 'no better, no worse'.

The worst recorded storm in Scotland was in the 19th century. It did a hell of a lot of structural damage including bringing down the Tay bridge on December 28th 1879 while a train was trying to cross it. Does this fit in with any climate change models or was it a large blip on an otherwise straight line.

This was before the industrial revolution was fully under way. Nothing like the build up of man made pollution then compared to now.
You seem to think that storms must be of unprecedented magnitude are necessary in order for them to be used as support for global climate change. That's just not true. Increases in the frequency of major storms, even if of less magnitude than some previous storms, is also supportive. So are storms occurring in areas without a prior history of such phenomena. All of this stuff is happening and happening more often. So, we see a trend line that's consistent with climate change modeling, not an isolated freak storm like the Tay Bridge disaster which, in any event, was a force 10. That's below hurricane force.

That said, Sandy does indeed look like it's going to be an unprecedented storm in size and severity and it will affect an area that is less prone to such storms than are other parts of North America.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 10-29-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You seem to think that storms must be of unprecedented magnitude are necessary in order for them to be used as support for global climate change. That's just not true. Increases in the frequency of major storms, even if of less magnitude than some previous storms, is also supportive. So are storms occurring in areas without a prior history of such phenomena. All of this stuff is happening and happening more often. So, we see a trend line that's consistent with climate change modeling, not an isolated freak storm like the Tay Bridge disaster which, in any event, was a force 10. That's below hurricane force.

That said, Sandy does indeed look like it's going to be an unprecedented storm in size and severity and it will affect an area that is less prone to such storms than are other parts of North America.

John
Hi John.

You seem to think that storms must be of unprecedented magnitude

Not inevitably, it's just that I can't remember hearing of a major storm front or any other severe weather system that hasn't been talked about as "since.............". Having said that, whatever's hitting New York seems to be off the scale. Like everyone else I'm hoping that anyone staying put has got somewhere safe.