Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

Finished Lewis' The Four Loves, lot of food for thought there.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Mutated Member

"Majjhimanikayo"

Translated into German by Karl E. Neumann

Piper Verlag, First Edition 1896.

For about 15 years I love to read from time to time a bit in Buddha's teachings.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 PM

In Search Of Lost Time, Vol 6 and 7 Marcel Proust: The Captive and The Fugitive.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Loyal Opposition

Last weekend it was a memoir by Doris Kearns-Goodwin: Wait 'til Next Year. It was a nice comfortable read. She told the story of her idyllic childhood in the New York CIty suburbs commingled with her intense love affair with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Her role as a historian is part of her being; she does a wonderful job of placing much of what she experienced as a child in an historical context.

This week is have picked up Baseball - A Literary Anthology. It is perfect for the schedule that presents itself for the next month or so. It is a collection of short stories and articles written by a range of folks from beat writers to literary giants. I can pick it up and enjoy a half hour of so of fun reading before I have to get back to reading transcripts and cases.
Because of its structure, I never have to worry about losing my place. Who knows; it might even help my brief writing.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Time Regained by Marcel Proust.

2014 The year of Tolstoy and Proust. This is the last volume of Proust's In Search Of Lost Time, originally called Remembrance Of Things Past by the person who first translated it into English back in the 1920s, C.K. Scott Moncrieff. The last volume was 900 pages along and except for about maybe 100 pages took place in the narrators' Paris apartment. Did not feel like 900 pages though. Took me six weeks.

I can only recommend it by quoting this paragraph from an earlier volume, in which the main character suddenly feels true grief when he finally realizes his grandmother is dead and is not coming back; in an earlier part of his life he would often knock 3 times on his wall to let his grandmother in the next room know he was awake, then she would come in and get him ready for the day (they were staying in a hotel on a beach in Normandy on an extended summer vacation in the late 1800s). He is back in the same hotel room about a year after his grandmother's death:

I knew that now I could knock, more loudly even, that nothing could again wake her, that I would not hear any response, that my grandmother would never again come. And I asked nothing more of God, if there is a paradise, than to be able to give there the three little taps on that partition that my grandmother would recognize anywhere, and to which she would respond with those other taps that meant, "Don't fret yourself, little mouse, I realize you're impatient, but I'm just coming," and that he should let me remain with her for all eternity, which would not be too long for the two of us.

Last edited by icenine; 12-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Just as the soul in this body passes through childhood, youth and old age, so does it pass into another body. The steadfast one is not deluded.

Bhagavad Gita 2,13
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Ready

I've found that grief will hit me, sharply and deeply, but one gets through it.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Area Man

The Divine Comedy---Dante

Dave
Old 12-22-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The Divine Comedy---Dante

Dave
That one's a real hoot!

John
Old 12-24-2014, 10:06 AM

I like to read biographies of Hollywood stars. I just finished reading one on Betty Garrett. While reading it, she covered the Hollywood Blacklist from the 30's, 40's. I decided to read up on it. I'm currently on "Tender Comrades: A Backstory of the Hollywood Blacklist" by Patrick McGilligan and Paul Buhle. So far it is pretty good. It has interviews with several individuals who were on the blacklist, that are still alive. I also have "Naming Names" by Victor S. Navasky. I'll be reading that one next.