Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 PM

Clinton e-mails, for the lawyers

Fellow lawyers,

We all have our specialties in law. Mine is patents.

Pretend we are sitting at a bar and not trying to win an argument. We are just educating each other so we can argue better when we are sober.

Can someone please explain what all the noise is about with Clinton's e-mail? I searched a bit of the U.S. Code and the best I understand is that Clinton needed to preserve her writings to help courts interpret the laws that she helped write.

As Secretary of State she did not help write any laws, i.e. she was not a lawmaker. Why is the news all over her?

As Secretary of State it seems that laws would favor keeping her e-mails secret.

Yes? No?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Admin

Seeing as those work emails are the subject of a FOIA request by the Associated Press, all the agencies involved are classifying after the fact. That doesn't stop the RWNJs from claiming she sent/rec'd classified info via her server. As SoS she had another channel for truly classified documents called SIPRA. IIRC.

Then, what do I know? I'm just a nail pounding construction puke.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Jigsawed

There are laws which deal with the security of communications. Clinton was aware of these protocols since she herself advised juniors.

However she adopted a lax attitude to her handling of e mails.

Last edited by Dondilion; 08-25-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Can someone please explain what all the noise is about with Clinton's e-mail?
Since Benghazi blew up in the opposition's face, this is the next fake Clinton scandal, imo.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Since Benghazi blew up in the opposition's face, this is the next fake Clinton scandal, imo.
I thought so my self, until Finnbow's posts.

It is common sense: There are bad players - Russians, Chinese, Iranians, Israelis - lurking.
You have to secure your communication.

Last edited by Dondilion; 08-24-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Seeing as those work emails are the subject of a FOIA request by the Associated Press, all the agencies involved are classifying after the fact. That doesn't stop the RWNJs from claiming she sent/rec'd classified info via her server. As SoS she had another channel for truly classified documents called SIPRA. IIRC.

Then, what do I know? I'm just a nail pounding construction puke.

Fun.

What is RWNJ? Right Wing News Junky?

SIPRA might be the real issue. When I looked into federal law regarding communication it seemed to break into two branches. The first branch was the lawmaking branch which we can all relate with. If we are subject to a law then we want to know why it was written and whether it is being properly used against us.

The second branch was related to security. That might be SIPRA. I have no experience with e-mail discussions at that level, and therefore can not imagine how they might influence a court. Rules of Evidence come to mind, however.

Always refreshing to chat with you all.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 PM

I'll take Hillary with over a xenophobic-tinged GOP candidate. A candidate who has to kowtow to Trump is just as bad as Trump himself.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 PM

Why is the FBI driving this investigation if there was no potential for breech of law?
Whether there was any actual wrongdoing remains to be determined. So this is not like the Benghazi witch hunt by Issa & Co.

In the interim since her trust factor is on the low side, many people do not expect Hillary to get a clean bill of health and this is having a damaging effect on her campaign.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post

Fun.

What is RWNJ? Right Wing News Junky?

SIPRA might be the real issue. When I looked into federal law regarding communication it seemed to break into two branches. The first branch was the lawmaking branch which we can all relate with. If we are subject to a law then we want to know why it was written and whether it is being properly used against us.

The second branch was related to security. That might be SIPRA. I have no experience with e-mail discussions at that level, and therefore can not imagine how they might influence a court. Rules of Evidence come to mind, however.

Always refreshing to chat with you all.
RWNJ=rightwing nutjob

The other party involved is the mainstream press who've had a hard on for the Clintons for the last 20+ years.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:47 AM

I see it as more political theater in nature then one of national security. Would be funny if not so serious that when the Repubs were in office, never a problem having a private server. Only when the Dems are in charge.

Once again, does anyone really think there are secrets kept for long anymore between governments? Or just the "outrage" when the populaces become aware?

Barney