Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Admin

'Gov. Brown Signs Sweeping Climate Bill'

"California will become a petri dish for international efforts to slow global warming under legislation****signed by Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday, forcing one of the world’s largest economies to squeeze into a dramatically smaller carbon footprint.
“What we’re doing here is farsighted, as well as far-reaching,” Brown said at a signing ceremony at Vista Hermosa Natural Park in downtown Los Angeles. “California is doing something that no other state has done.”
The legislation, SB 32, requires the state to slash greenhouse gas emissions to 40% below 1990 levels by 2030, a much more ambitious target than the previous goal of hitting 1990 levels by 2020." LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html

Good.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Rational Anarchist

Make believe legislation from the land of make believe.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Yup, just like the ban on Tetraethyl lead.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
On one hand, you might have an argument that this makes sense because Cali is a huge agricultural state, and this legislation - ostensibly - was passed with the state's agriculture business in mind.

But balance that against the new Cali regs providing overtime pay to agriculture employees and one is only left with questions
Old 09-13-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
On one hand, you might have an argument that this makes sense because Cali is a huge agricultural state, and this legislation - ostensibly - was passed with the state's agriculture business in mind.

But balance that against the new Cali regs providing overtime pay to agriculture employees and one is only left with questions
Yeah, you Objectivists must really hate this.

It doesn't change the number of hours the ag workers will be required to work. It just changes the point where OT kicks in, from 10 hours to 8, over a 4 year period.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html

By the way, "Cali" is what foreigners call California. We don't and we don't like it much.

Last edited by Boreas; 09-13-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 AM

As a degreed Chemical Engineer, I applaud this bill. Besides these goals can easily accomplished with migration towards electric cars. MBZ is going to be offering six all electric models very soon. With the joint Panasonic/Tesla giga battery plant in Reno, the cost of Li-ion batteries is coming down rapidly.

There is a local company (Proterra) that has already developed all electric buses with an 18 hour run range.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
ol-sac-farmworkers-overtime-signed-20160912-snap-story.html[/url]

By the way, "Cali" is what foreigners call California. We don't and we don't like it much.
That is why he uses that dumbass term, he probably thinks the California state flower is the Califlower too.

Carl
Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
As a degreed Chemical Engineer, I applaud this bill. Besides these goals can easily accomplished with migration towards electric cars. MBZ is going to be offering six all electric models very soon. With the joint Panasonic/Tesla giga battery plant in Reno, the cost of Li-ion batteries is coming down rapidly.

There is a local company (Proterra) that has already developed all electric buses with an 18 hour run range.
We need safe nuke power and a more robust grid to support the generalized use of electric vehicles. The enviremental ramifications must be included in consideration.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
We need safe nuke power and a more robust grid to support the generalized use of electric vehicles. The enviremental ramifications must be included in consideration.

Yes, and clean coal too.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post

Increased use of solar power is going to increase available energy in the warm southern states. Besides it is a lot easier to scrub waste gases emanating in a power plant than it is to treat unburnt hydrocarbons from tail pipes.

As to nuclear energy, I do not see this on the horizon in the near future due to politics. Three Mile Island, Yucca Mountain, etc. are still in recent memory.

I actually wanted to specialize in nuclear engineering and coal gasification but even back then (70's), these technologies had lost their luster.

Last edited by Rajoo; 09-13-2016 at 12:49 PM.