Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
yes..........I agree. And, that is also the way they make up for those who don't pay and don't qualify for gov assistance.

Anyway you look at it........we are all paying. We might as well have a system that is more cost effective and meets our needs better.
Agreed.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It doesn't come out of your check. It is part of the wage package that the union negotiates, but the employer pays a direct contribution to the health and welfare fund for each hour worked. Therefore you aren't paying for it directly. If your fund works like most, you would remain covered for up to six months, even if you weren't working - provided you had worked enough hours in the preceding 12 months.

Because the health and welfare contributions are not something paid directly to you, they are not something that you will be taxed upon. There was some consideration of taxing "cadillac" plans, but it did not make it to the final bill.

Even at 1300 per month, your coverage is a bargain. Health and welfare funds are run on a not for profit basis. There are no advertising costs, no dividend payments, no executive bonuses. The administrative cost is much smaller than with commercial insurance.

Regards,

D-Ray
I understand that it's part of my "total package" but it is considered a pay raise before the union decides where to put it. Say we get a 2 dollar raise, 50 cents may got to our training center, 1.00 might go on the paycheck, and the other 50 cents might go to healthcare. I think we are saying the same thing just in different ways. So, are you saying that nothing will change for me as far as insurance and cost of same? Will the coverage remain the same? I was sort of hoping they would put the 8 bux onto the check and let me buy my own. Last I checked, the stuff that wasn't on the check was equal to about 80% of our per hour pay on the check. Is there some place on the inner webs that I can go to get plain speak info on this stuff? I am so ignorant on the entire health care subject it's sinful.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Is there some place on the inner webs that I can go to get plain speak info on this stuff? I am so ignorant on the entire health care subject it's sinful.
If you read about it on the web you will probably be more confused. Your best bet would be to pay a good attorney that works in the field a bit of money and have him explain it to you...at least to answer any complicated questions. I am not even sure if that would work though as the contents are so huge that if the law stays, it will probably be argued, interpreted, and challenged for years to come. Kind of like the Constitution.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM

If you are over the age of sixty you can get free health care counseling at your local HICAP agency.
They might not be up to date on changes that have not been implemented yet, but they are trained extensively on what is currently happening for senior citizens in the health care arena.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I understand that it's part of my "total package" but it is considered a pay raise before the union decides where to put it. Say we get a 2 dollar raise, 50 cents may got to our training center, 1.00 might go on the paycheck, and the other 50 cents might go to healthcare. I think we are saying the same thing just in different ways. So, are you saying that nothing will change for me as far as insurance and cost of same? Will the coverage remain the same? I was sort of hoping they would put the 8 bux onto the check and let me buy my own. Last I checked, the stuff that wasn't on the check was equal to about 80% of our per hour pay on the check. Is there some place on the inner webs that I can go to get plain speak info on this stuff? I am so ignorant on the entire health care subject it's sinful.
I'm not familiar with your particular contract and your particular health plan, just with the general practices in the trades. I would expect that what is taken out of you check also includes pension contributions, maybe a 401(k) or other local retirement plan, contributions to a vacation fund, apprentice contributions and union dues. The dues, apprenticeship, and medical coverage are expenses. The retirement contributions, while you don't see them now, are deferred compensation that will eventually go to you.

As far as what will happen with your medical coverage, that't a matter for negotiation between the union and management, both as to the cost and as to the level of coverage. I would expect that the cost of it will rise, but I would be surprised to see such coverage eliminated. I would expect that if we ever wake up and implement a national single payer plan, the unions will negotiate supplemental coverage for members to cover things that might not be covered by a national plan.

As far as putting the eight bucks on you check, that would be a very very bad deal. First, your coverage is now purchased with pre-tax money, if they put the money on you check, it would have to be taxed. Moreover, as I mentioned before, joint health and welfare trust funds generally have much lower administrative expenses than insurance companies. You would be unlikely to come close to the same coverage by purchasing insurance with post tax dollars.

Regards,

D-Ray