Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Or a government-less Syria with Al-Queda elements doing all sorts of bad things; a new Somalia is not a good thing in the Middle East right now.
Not a big problem for Israel.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

A very nice thread, thanks everyone.

I tend to agree with Dond that it covers too much. Still ok though.

My take, there's some really really big things missed. Forget that Korea even at the 38th parellel 'contained' the Reds. What about having US troops stationed in Saudi Arabia - infidels in the Holy Land?

Yes 'we' wanted Saddam gone. I have no doubt that this was as true in the 90s as 2001. He was a destabilizing influence on the whole region!

I just don't see the 'loss'. Did we want Iraq to become a prosperous democracy, friend of the US? Of course. But just because it isn't doesn't mean certain important objectives weren't met.

Btw, I agree with the author on one certain observation, that it's not that big of a deal over time, with thes caveat, that it's influence may have at least helped jumpstart the Arab Spring.

Pete
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Yes 'we' wanted Saddam gone. I have no doubt that this was as true in the 90s as 2001. He was a destabilizing influence on the whole region...
...Btw, I agree with the author on one certain observation, that it's not that big of a deal over time, with thes caveat, that it's influence may have at least helped jumpstart the Arab Spring.

Pete
It seems to me that these are contradictory statements. As big a murderous douchebag as Saddam was, his presence actually stabilized the Mideast (as Tito did in Yugoslavia, FWIW).
Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The images of Iraqi women stepping over dead bodies to vote was extremely powerful.

Pete
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Wait a sec - Saddam = stability? Maybe once upon a time....

Pete
Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Wait a sec - Saddam = stability? Maybe once upon a time....

Pete
Absolutely. He kept Iran in check. By ousting Saddam, we put out the red carpet for the Iranians to exert their influence over the Shia majority. And we paid $ 1 Trillion, 4,300 dead, and ~32,000 wounded for this outcome? Brilliant.

It seems the same thing is occurring in Afghanistan now with Karzai accusing us of colluding with the Taliban against him.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Agreed he did way more than keep Iran in check, a while back. After the gulf war he was a lot broke-er than he used to be, the UN aside

So, war with Iran, invaded Kuwait, threatened SA - as well as paid cash rewards to families of suicide bombers re: Israel ($25k!) - unsure how that adds up to stability.

Pete
Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Agreed he did way more than keep Iran in check, a while back. After the gulf war he was a lot broke-er than he used to be, the UN aside

So, war with Iran, invaded Kuwait, threatened SA - as well as paid cash rewards to families of suicide bombers re: Israel ($25k!) - unsure how that adds up to stability.

Pete
So, can I assume that you think that the $1 Trillion was well spent, along with the 4,300 dead and ~32,000 wounded?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Jury's still out imo. However it wasn't the incredibly stupid thing it's often made out to be.

If we knew 'our' original plan wouldn't have worked I doubt we would've done the same thing.

Pete
Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Area Man

Quote:
The images of Iraqi women stepping over dead bodies to vote was extremely powerful.

Pete
Is that what Blacks and Latinos are going to have to resort to in the next election cycle, Pete?

Dave