Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The problem with torture is that the victim will tell you whatever he thinks will make the torture stop if he/she knows nothing. On the other hand if they really do know something do you honestly think that some fanatic who thinks suicide bombing is a grand gesture is going to divulge anything?
I have to agree, and therein lies one of the problems; is it info just to stop the torture, or is it reliable. I think the only semblance of an answer is to use torture only in cases in which the "torturee" has the info needed beyond a shadow of a doubt, and it should only be administered by trained individuals with the goal of extracting the info. Not the perfect solution, but not a perfect problem either. No easy answer here.

Controversial Point: Using survivable pain or discomfort to save lives sounds like a fair trade-off to me.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:52 PM

C'mon, guys. EVERY nation uses or has used torture. Even the ones who sanctimoniously say they don't. Do you think for one minute that the fact that WE didn't/don't/won't would have any bearing whatsoever on what or how our enemies would treat captured American soldiers? Personally, I'd think if we made a lot of noise about how we DON'T torture would probably increase the likelihood our guys WILL be tortured...
Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Torture

Personally, I don't believe in torture.

Then again, if I thought the gentleman in front of me had information which would save the lives of thousands of people, or even my comrades, I'd jerk a slapper out of my hip pocket and beat that SOB until I got the answers I wanted. I would NOT want the knowledge that I did not do everything in my power on my concience.

Last time I looked, we were at war. And the people that we're dealing don't play by the Geneva Convention.

Never was a fan of the ends justifying the means, but there is a time and place for everything. Except maybe the fillet knife.

Chas
Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Then again, if I thought the gentleman in front of me had information which would save the lives of thousands of people, or even my comrades, I'd jerk a slapper out of my hip pocket and beat that SOB until I got the answers I wanted. I would NOT want the knowledge that I did not do everything in my power on my concience.

Last time I looked, we were at war. And the people that we're dealing don't play by the Geneva Convention.

Never was a fan of the ends justifying the means, but there is a time and place for everything. Except maybe the fillet knife.

Chas

Very well said
Old 05-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
Uhh-huh. My point exactly. Another thing- After 9/11, we had all these images of these jackasses dancing in the streets w/glee over that, I would have been sorely tempted to give 'em something to dance about-Something that would still be smoldering now, 8 years later. The only thing those jokers understand is being hit harder than they just hit you.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Uhh-huh. My point exactly. Another thing- After 9/11, we had all these images of these jackasses dancing in the streets w/glee over that, I would have been sorely tempted to give 'em something to dance about-Something that would still be smoldering now, 8 years later. The only thing those jokers understand is being hit harder than they just hit you.
QFT.

And if that doesn't work, it just means it wasn't a hard enough hit.

Last edited by Centralflori; 05-17-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM

okay, okay, i've reconsidered...

nancy pelosi should be waterboarded.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
okay, okay, i've reconsidered...

nancy pelosi should be waterboarded.
Hell yeh!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Resident octogenarian

Two words - sodium pentothal (sp?)
Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
C'mon, guys. EVERY nation uses or has used torture. Even the ones who sanctimoniously say they don't. Do you think for one minute that the fact that WE didn't/don't/won't would have any bearing whatsoever on what or how our enemies would treat captured American soldiers? Personally, I'd think if we made a lot of noise about how we DON'T torture would probably increase the likelihood our guys WILL be tortured...
After World War II, we convicted several Japanese soldiers for waterboarding American and Allied prisoners of war. Why is it now ok?