Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:54 PM

I think Obama will do something but not boots on the ground.
In 2004 no one knew the future and could have predicted that it would be the downfall of Syria as a state that would pose the biggest internal threat to Iraq ten years later.

Although wealthy benefactors of ISIS most likely exist in Saudi Arabia the consensus is the monarchy there does not really want ISIS on their borders either.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
This is a weak cover for a lack luster president. The people also elected him to f--k up Al Qaeda or similar outfits any where we see them.

I do not see the point of droning them in Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan and folding our hands in Iraq.
That's where we differ my friend, I consider it sign of strength and maturity not to impulsively resort to the big hammer of military force at every turn, unlike conservatives of the 'shoot first, aim later' type.

Protecting the country via fucking our adversaries isn't some chess game where we need to be 20 moves ahead, diplomacy should be the first and foremost tool not bombs.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I think Obama will do something but not boots on the ground.
In 2004 no one knew the future and could have predicted that it would be the downfall of Syria as a state that would pose the biggest internal threat to Iraq ten years later.

Although wealthy benefactors of ISIS most likely exist in Saudi Arabia the consensus is the monarchy there does not really want ISIS on their borders either.
I remember reading after the Arab Spring in Tunisia and Egypt, the country most worrisome was Syria. And then it happened and there is no end in sight. I do agree that funding is coming from the Saudi's and that Saudi monarchy is either looking the other way nervously or hoping the west would get involved and avert the spread of ISIS.

In the end, both sides will be shooting at us so why bother helping either side out?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
This is a weak cover for a lack luster president. The people also elected him to f--k up Al Qaeda or similar outfits any where we see them.

I do not see the point of droning them in Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan and folding our hands in Iraq.
No, Obama understands reality. The US is broke and can't afford any more wars.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5496248.html

Well whoever is to blame we certainly do not want these assholes controlling large swaths of Iraq. This is revolting. One thing for sure is that these people will not win over too many hearts and minds.
They likely will. The US is the hated enemy who destroyed their country. Saddam is looking like a good guy now. The country ran pretty well comparatively under him.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I remember reading after the Arab Spring in Tunisia and Egypt, the country most worrisome was Syria. And then it happened and there is no end in sight. I do agree that funding is coming from the Saudi's and that Saudi monarchy is either looking the other way nervously or hoping the west would get involved and avert the spread of ISIS.

In the end, both sides will be shooting at us so why bother helping either side out?
I would help Malaki out as the lesser of two evils and as an effort to at least preserve the state of Iraq as we know it.........so that at least after our invasion something along the lines of a nation state exists. Moreover I do not think Malaki has exported terrorism.....

you have to remember that the Shiites in Southern Iraq control a big chunk of the world's supply of oil and we need that on our markets.

It is obvious that ISIS does not want to be a mainstream player on the world stage or a force for stability in the area.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
reflexionar

Well our election pool here at home has been the lesser of two evils for quite some time. It obviously doesn't always work out for the best anywhere.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I would help Malaki out as the lesser of two evils and as an effort to at least preserve the state of Iraq as we know it.........so that at least after our invasion something along the lines of a nation state exists. Moreover I do not think Malaki has exported terrorism.....

you have to remember that the Shiites in Southern Iraq control a big chunk of the world's supply of oil and we need that on our markets.

It is obvious that ISIS does not want to be a mainstream player on the world stage or a force for stability in the area.
Then let's take over the oil fields. From what I understand, they are operated by western oil companies anyway. This way no need to take sides, pay the Iraqi's for what we take based on a non-negotiable contract. The whole world would watch and understand. As a bonus, this will piss off the Iranian's which is to our benefit.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Taking over the oil fields would just benefit the oil companies who want to gouge world wide consumers of gasoline. We would not see cheaper oil.

Oddly an convergence of Iranian and American interests in saving the Iraqi government could bring about warmer relations.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:58 PM
reflexionar

Quite a unique and interesting situation. Hard to predict an actual outcome from a particular move and even harder to predict the outcome of the outcome.