Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:14 PM

CNN isnt my Go-to, but it can generally pass a fact check search and doesn't feature opinion and commentary over actual news.
Generally, I use AP, NPR, and NBC as morning go-to, trying Smartnews as an aggregator, which gets into the weeds on both sides. I tend to avoid sites with a known bias like Breitbart as credible news sources.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:16 PM

Happy to live in CA, which leads the country in renewable energy (and most everything else of any significance).

https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=CA

Some facts from this government site:

Per capita residential energy use in California is lower than that of any other state except Hawaii.

Renewable resources, including hydropower and small-scale (less than 1-megawatt), customer-sited solar photovoltaics (PV), supplied almost half of California's in-state electricity generation in 2018. (No doubt more than half in 2020).

California is the top producer of electricity from solar, geothermal, and biomass energy in the nation.

The Geysers in northern California is the largest complex of geothermal power plants in the world.

California does not have any coal reserves or production and has phased out almost all use of coal for electricity generation. In 2018, coal fueled less than 0.2% of the in-state utility-scale net generation, and all of that power was generated at industrial facilities
Old 06-18-2020, 12:17 PM

Back to the OP topic, I find the advantages of nuke power interesting, if the disadvantages of initial and subsequent costs and hazards can be mitigated.

Last edited by Pio1980; 06-18-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:38 PM
reflexionar

I don't understand why more people don't go solar irregardless of beliefs in climate change. My 9.4kW solar system will be installed next week. It will conservatively cover over 100% of my electricity usage. The cost after credits, incentives and rebates went from 25,600 down to 15,800. That should pay for itself in about 8 years plus add about 18,000 to my home value. Sounds like a win-win to me. I am financing the whole shebang and my loan payment is less than my electric bill.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I don't understand why more people don't go solar irregardless of beliefs in climate change. My 9.4kW solar system will be installed next week. It will conservatively cover over 100% of my electricity usage. The cost after credits, incentives and rebates went from 25,600 down to 15,800. That should pay for itself in about 8 years plus add about 18,000 to my home value. Sounds like a win-win to me. I am financing the whole shebang and my loan payment is less than my electric bill.
My old guitar player installs solar for a living. He has 40 panels on his roof and got them when China was dumping them. That being said, he believes that solar is more expensive than power from the grid (at least, where we live) when you take into account the cost of the hardware and its useful life span coupled with the sunlight we get. The reason he's a fan is that he is a bit of a survivalist.

That is, when the grid goes, he still has power.

My company is experimenting with solar farms right now to determine the economic feasibility of those farms. But the results won't be in for decades. The main reason for going solar with current tech is to make a political/cultural statement.

i.e. part of the solution is to convert one's life to one of using more energy efficient stuff like LED lighting.

I'm thinking of using automotive alternators coupled with a homemade windmill to produce power for stuff around my property. LED lighting can be 12 volt based so I could, theoretically, have 12 volt generators connected to 12 volt batteries and infrastructure that uses 12 volt power, bypassing the need for very expensive inverters. Frankly, just as many homes used to be wired with cat-5, one could wire their home with a 12 volt system that was pure solar/wind connected, separate from their normal 120 volt wiring. All of your lighting could be 12 volt, thanks to LED's.

BTW, when LED lighting hit big, my power company noticed a drop in power consumption all over the grid.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:38 PM

Vanguard names names and backs some calls for climate steps

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN23P1T1

Glad to see that Vanguard is voting responsibly. Half my sizable holdings are in Vanguard funds.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post

Glad to see that Vanguard is voting responsibly. Half my sizable holdings are in Vanguard funds.

We locked in some of our into a Indexed Annuity with a guarantee of 15% in February. For only 12 months.
We will see!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:17 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
My old guitar player installs solar for a living. He has 40 panels on his roof and got them when China was dumping them. That being said, he believes that solar is more expensive than power from the grid (at least, where we live) when you take into account the cost of the hardware and its useful life span coupled with the sunlight we get. The reason he's a fan is that he is a bit of a survivalist.

That is, when the grid goes, he still has power.

My company is experimenting with solar farms right now to determine the economic feasibility of those farms. But the results won't be in for decades. The main reason for going solar with current tech is to make a political/cultural statement.

I am far from being a green extremist, though I do recycle and compost. Compost makes our garden soil rich, recycling is free at the dump and my trash costs me about 12 dollars every other month or so to dump. Spending 16K on my system to save 40K over the next 15 years makes sense to me. As a fiscal conservative all of this is done for financial reasons. None of it is political or cultural. I see no reason to retire with any bills that aren't necessary.

i.e. part of the solution is to convert one's life to one of using more energy efficient stuff like LED lighting.

My whole house and most of my automotive lighting as well is all LED. Again, all financial and safety decisions, not cultural or political.

I'm thinking of using automotive alternators coupled with a homemade windmill to produce power for stuff around my property. LED lighting can be 12 volt based so I could, theoretically, have 12 volt generators connected to 12 volt batteries and infrastructure that uses 12 volt power, bypassing the need for very expensive inverters. Frankly, just as many homes used to be wired with cat-5, one could wire their home with a 12 volt system that was pure solar/wind connected, separate from their normal 120 volt wiring. All of your lighting could be 12 volt, thanks to LED's.

Tried that already when I was much younger. Getting an alternator to spin at a proper rpm from wind will be quite a chore, and the amount of alternators and batteries you would need to power an average house would be quite a large number.

BTW, when LED lighting hit big, my power company noticed a drop in power consumption all over the grid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post

I too have quite a sizeable quantity in Vanguard holdings, but they are also fairly diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
We locked in some of our into a Indexed Annuity with a guarantee of 15% in February. For only 12 months.
We will see!
I would have to look and see exactly where my portfolios were in February, but they have gone up over 25% since March. Of course that was when we had the Covid crash.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I too have quite a sizeable quantity in Vanguard holdings, but they are also fairly diverse.

I would have to look and see exactly where my portfolios were in February, but they have gone up over 25% since March. Of course that was when we had the Covid crash.

This is for a segment of our overall holdings. Guarantee of 15% for the next 12 months, took it. Then forget about watching ups and downs......
Old 06-19-2020, 07:26 AM

Responsible companies recognize their role in the global warming problem, and have mitigation plans in place.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prakash...eal-challenge/

Tags
climate, global warming