Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I believe you're right, Bill. We've evolved to a point where most of the employees are temps. Ostensibly, a temps potential reward is the promise of a "full time" job with higher pay and full benefits. At least that's what it used to be. Now, the workplace is filling up with temps. Some hang on maybe a year, before they realize it isn't happening and move on.

I think, perhaps there are those in upper management who only see the short term cost savings of this arrangement? They seem to have the attitude that anyone idiot can do those jobs, so we'll just use temps to do it all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we both know that that isn't quite true. That even simple jobs done more effectively by a motivated employees make everything run much smoother.

Supervision has a separate bonus program from ours. Not sure exactly how it works. But, I do know none of them have had a bonus in a few years. Still, we have some that are excellent at what they do, and all too many that simply take up space. The man who's supposed to be in charge of production on my shift is the perfect example of this. I have no idea how he keeps his job. The other two supervisors on the shift try to take up his slack, but they have their own jobs to do. I've even been told I need to "........stay on these people." I'm a mechanic. How is it MY JOB to make machine operators do their jobs? If they won't listen to him, they sure as hell aren't paying any attention to me.

There is a shift differential, but it's small. I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Dave
When you bring in temps Dave, you have a contract with the temp agency, and you can not hire any of their employees unless you buy their contract from the temp agency.

Now if your temps are doing much of the work, and they don't see the possibility for advancement to full time, their motivational factor will be zero.
I would have been buying up the contracts of the best temp employees making them full time, even though it would cost more, I would then have a motivated and interested workforce.

Or for the shot term, I would have included the temps into the bonus program, just to see who really wanted full time employment, then I would have bought out their contracts and hired them.

And like I said before, the owner, CEO or top managerial officer should stop in unannounced from time to time to see for himself just what is going on.

I also had knowledgeable employees like you that kept me apprised of what was happening on the night shift, and I kept them very happy and protected, as they saved me many nightly trips to the plant during problem times, and information on what really happened the night before.

Some smart ass is showing the Boss?, how he is saving $8.50 per hour, per employee, but he's not showing how he is loosing 25 - 30% on production.

And by-the-way, it cost your boss probably $17.00/hr. for your temps, but the agency must do the payroll and deduct all applicable taxes, and receive their profits from that.

If equipment is at 100% or so, motivation is the problem.

You have to spend money, to make money. A well greased machine runs smoothly.

Bill
Old 02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Area Man

Yeah, I know how the temp service thing works, I was just trying to present the issue from the employees point of view. And, at that rate, most folks who have rent to pay and kids to feed can't hang on forever at $8.50 an hour. They have to go where the money is, and if the employer isn't showing them a path to better pay or advancement, why should they hang on?

Again, you're right. The problem is motivation. And, I don't see how that bizarre meeting we had was supposed to inspire anyone.

Dave