Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Area Man

Cool.

Yeah, their professional R to R machines when found in good working order bring a healthy price in the (small niche) vintage HiFi market. I wouldn't mind having one myself. A 10.5" two track that will run 15 ips would be cool. Expensive as hell to run, but a neato museum piece to show off to friends and amazing sound quality for a machine older than the women I date.

Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Resident octogenarian

I started out with a Panasonic that Florence had, I ended up putting new heads in it and selling it. So now I have Teac 1230 two track, a teac X-1000R and Pioneer RT-707 four trackers - famine or feast.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Area Man

I have three. A Revox A77mkVI four track, an Akai M8 and a Roberts 770. The Revox I had completely restored at JM Audio Arts a few years back and use it occasionally. Spectacular sonics.

The other two are pretty much shot. I got them for free and figured I'd scavenge them for their tube amps. It's been two years and I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I have three. A Revox A77mkVI four track, an Akai M8 and a Roberts 770. The Revox I had completely restored at JM Audio Arts a few years back and use it occasionally. Spectacular sonics.

The other two are pretty much shot. I got them for free and figured I'd scavenge them for their tube amps. It's been two years and I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Dave
Did you see that tube amp scavenging post on AK wrt the M8/Roberts? That Revox is a nice machine. R2Rs bring back memories of 1960s or 1970s bachelor pads. Have you been to this link?

http://www.tapeproject.com/machines/machines.htm
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Area Man

I'll have to search for that "scavenging" thread, 'cuz I really need to get that done and make some space.

YES! The Tape Project! Man, I would almost sell my soul for that Otari. The guy who sold me the Revox had an Otari two track he could run at 15 ips. He had some Jazz recordings he made with it in his home studio with just two mics. The realism of those recordings sent a chill down my spine. Amazing.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-12-2011 at 01:01 AM.