Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Pray for the folks in and around Oklahoma City that was struck by a possible E5 tornado with winds possibly reaching over 300 mph. They went through a similar storm in 1999. 2.9 million in property damage. This storm makes 1999 look small.

I guess the Conservative representatives of Oklahoma, that voted against relief for hurricane Sandy victims, are going to tell their constituent's to pull up their bootstraps and rebuild on their own.

I have not found a place to donate money yet, but I should not be too hasty, the same storm is bearing down on me as I type.

Inhofe: "Tornado aid ‘totally different’ from Hurricane Sandy aid".

What a dirtbag hypocrite and his partner in crime is already making noises about offsets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rricane-sandy/

Last edited by bobabode; 05-22-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Prayers of healing to the families and friends of the victims and the emergency personnel who witnessed so much death and destruction.

I caught it from start to finish. Just terrible to watch that monster stovepipe grinding it's way across the landscape and then just barreling through subdivision after subdivision. You could tell it was hitting populated areas when you started seeing huge arc flashes from power lines and transformers exploding. Just terrible.
I've never seen more than a funnel cloud but I've heard one that hit about a 1/2 mile away from where I was living at the time. Truly horrifying sound, terrifying.

Pete
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I've never seen more than a funnel cloud but I've heard one that hit about a 1/2 mile away from where I was living at the time. Truly horrifying sound, terrifying.

Pete
I saw an F4 in Tulsa, was probably within 1/4 mile of it whenever I noticed that everyone in a shopping center parking lot was pointing to my left.

And don't believe that crap about not trying to outrun one. You can cover a lot of real estate at 90-100 MPH, especially whenever everyone else is running the same speed.

But I've always been fortunate in regards to Mother Nature. And driving way too fast. Among other things.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live through a disaster of this nature.

Chas
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Admin

Knowing what goes into building these homes and seeing them turned into matchsticks is just mind boggling. Maybe we need to address the inherent dangers of living into tornado alley by upgrading bldg. codes? Shit. I dunno.
I remember watching the walls of the wood framed house that I lived in, opening and closing during the last big earthquake. You can't imagine the noise level of all those 16d nails moving in and out all at once and the solid ground acting like an ocean with visible swells moving down the street. It was freaky to say the least.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Knowing what goes into building these homes and seeing them turned into matchsticks is just mind boggling. Maybe we need to address the inherent dangers of living into tornado alley by upgrading bldg. codes? Shit. I dunno.
I remember watching the walls of the wood framed house that I lived in, opening and closing during the last big earthquake. You can't imagine the noise level of all those 16d nails moving in and out all at once and the solid ground acting like an ocean with visible swells moving down the street. It was freaky to say the least.
Well, at least we don't have to worry about earthquakes in Missouri...other than the New Madrid Fault. But I'm a couple of hundred miles NE of it, and have earthquake insurance.

Don't know what you could build that Mother Nature couldn't destroy. Maybe a steel reinforced concrete pyramid with 1" steel doors and hardened glass windows with steel shutters. Be safe from most anything...unless it fell into a sink hole.

The little lady would love those digs, huh?

Personally, if the Good Lord decides to call my property home, I hope he takes me as well. I don't want to live in a tent in Missouri and fight with the insurance companies.

I hate insurance companies as much as I hate the government. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that they're in cahoots.

Chas

PS: Time for me to go get a life again. Later.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Area Man

I was crossing the James River Bridge on my way to work one day when I saw a tornado move from the land onto the river, creating a large and very scary looking waterspout. It was powerful enough to make my car bounce around and scare the crap out of me. I couldn't see anything but horizontal rain and grey outside the windshield. It passed after only several seconds, but, I'll never for get it.

I was sure I was about to get sucked up and dumped into the James.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_River_Bridge

Dave